Kegerator problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I know this has been asked 1000 times but I am having some issues with my newly setup kegerator. It was a kit from a brew shop for a mini fridge, so it has 6 foot 3/16 lines with 2.2psi per foot loss. Kegerator is set to 38f. (I tested this with a waterbottle in the fridge)

Anyways I get a foamy pour no matter what I do unless I lower the serving pressure to around 3 psi in which case it works pretty well. I have a hefe and an apa on tap, the hefe was set to about 20psi, and the apa was set to about 10. The tower is not cooled with coils or anything but there is a small pc fan I installed in the fridge. The beer comes out around 42-43 so not too bad really.

Yet ever pour is over half foam, I checked for leaks but did not see any. I did notice some bubbles gathering in the line, could that be a leak or is that just co2 from the keg?

I thought a keg system was supposed to be less headaches than bottling, thanks for any help!

Once you get it calibrated it's less headaches buts it's a PITA to get it calibrated. How long was the hefe set to 20 psi? They might just be over carbed. Also you'd be surprised how much A few extra feet of beer line decreases foaming issues. For the fan do you have it blowing up into the tower l? I started song this and it fixed a lot of foaming issues I had.

FYI...I've had a few to drink so don't judge me on misspellings or. nonsense.

Once you get it calibrated it's less headaches buts it's a PITA to get it calibrated. How long was the hefe set to 20 psi? They might just be over carbed. Also you'd be surprised how much A few extra feet of beer line decreases foaming issues. For the fan do you have it blowing up into the tower l? I started song this and it fixed a lot of foaming issues I had.

FYI...I've had a few to drink so don't judge me on misspellings or. nonsense.

The hefe was set to 40 for 24 hours and then 20 for about 2 or 3 days. I have the fan blowing that way but would need extra wire to get it near the tower as it is at the bottom pointing upwards now.

Google how to balance a keg system. You probably need longer lines.

Are the bubbles in the beer line very small, almost like foam ?
Or are the bubbles large like the size of a pea ?

In my experince small CO2 bubbles is caused from the beer being overcarbed.
Large CO2 bubbles are from the CO2 leaking into the beer line from the dip tube gasket.

Both will cause a glass full of foam.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=587900

Have you recently removed the beer out post or dip tube while cleaning them ?

Google how to balance a keg system. You probably need longer lines.

I looked up how to balance a keg system and saw that longer lines can solve the problem. Yet won't the optimal line length change with each different beer?

L = (keg_pressure – 1 – (Height/2)) / Resistance

= (12-1-2/2)/2.2
=5ft, so I have a bit extra hose

for the hefe

= (20-1-2/2)/2.2
=8.6 so if I lowered the pressure to around 16 it would be balanced with 6 feet of line.

The bubbles are very small, yet it is surprisingly not in my hefe but the pale ale. This morning when I looked into the line the bubbles must have combined to form one large air pocket so that could definitely be reason for issues.

Are the bubbles in the beer line very small, almost like foam ?
Or are the bubbles large like the size of a pea ?

In my experince small CO2 bubbles is caused from the beer being overcarbed.
Large CO2 bubbles are from the CO2 leaking into the beer line from the dip tube gasket.

Both will cause a glass full of foam.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=587900

Have you recently removed the beer out post or dip tube while cleaning them ?

so if I lowered the pressure to around 16 it would be balanced with 6 feet of line.

What is your normal serving psi ?

When I read the Hefe was at 20psi and APA at 10 I assumed that was only to force carb them. How long did they sit at that pressure ?

What is your normal serving psi ?

When I read the Hefe was at 20psi and APA at 10 I assumed that was only to force carb them. How long did they sit at that pressure ?

Not very long, the hefe was at 40 for one day and 20 for 2 more, the apa was 20 for one day and 10 for 2 after that. Thats what confuses me about the line balance, my 6 foot line should be longer than needed for the apa and thus the fill pressure should be quite low no?

Carbing to somewhere around 2.4 will cover most beers and be fine on the same lines. But if your going to have styles that push 3.0+ type levels then keep a separate longer serving line(s) for them.

Do yourself a favor and do this:
Use this calculator
Set the line length to the highest carb level you plan to use on all your lines

The only problem pouring with a longer line than needed is it will take a few extra seconds to draw off a pint. Much less hassle than switching lines, or keeping track of which line you need to hook up which keg to. Realize though that if you want to maintain different carb levels you need to have separate regulators set to those different serving pressures. Otherwise the kegs will just equilibrate to the new serving pressure.

The first pint is always going to be a little foamy with a tower,not really worth worrying about.I ran copper up the tower a found it didn't do much of anything.When you get sick and tired of fighting foam and adjusting lines just get Perlick 650 flow control taps and keep your 6 ft lines and enjoy every pour effortlessly..Best kegging decision youll make.

Also what taps came with the keg.Alot of kit kegs come with crappy taps that stick and are throwaways.Another reason for the flow control.

Do yourself a favor and do this:
Use this calculator
Set the line length to the highest carb level you plan to use on all your lines

The only problem pouring with a longer line than needed is it will take a few extra seconds to draw off a pint. Much less hassle than switching lines, or keeping track of which line you need to hook up which keg to. Realize though that if you want to maintain different carb levels you need to have separate regulators set to those different serving pressures. Otherwise the kegs will just equilibrate to the new serving pressure.

I have a dual product regulator for each of the kegs. And using that calculator tells me the line for the ale is more than long enough, and yet it still is around half foam when I pour a glass. It appears 8psi should be a fine serving pressure, could it be a regulator issue or something?

I went through this same problem. Those calculators theoreticaly work but in practice the line resistance of the hose is skewed. I have 13 ft of hose and it works perfect for beers around the 2.3ish range. Anything higher and i temporarily set the pressure lower while serving and crank it back up after I'm done.

I had 1 perlick tap completely crap out on me and both taps were starting to drip anyways so I just ordered the 650's.

Not very long, the hefe was at 40 for one day and 20 for 2 more, the apa was 20 for one day and 10 for 2 after that. Thats what confuses me about the line balance, my 6 foot line should be longer than needed for the apa and thus the fill pressure should be quite low no?

Have you tried de-carbing it ?
It may be over carbed.

I had an IPA that was at 30psi for 3 days and then brought down to 8 psi and it is over carbed.

I had a ***** of a time getting my kegerator to stop producing wild foamy pours. The guy at the homebrew supplies shop told me I had to use 1/4" line and with the calc it ended up being 13' on each side which was rather expensive and didn't solve anything.

After much reading I went with 10' of 3/16 line on each side and copper pipe up the tower to the taps to keep the lines chilled. I have not had a problem since no matter what style is on tap.

You will find that as the kegs get nearer to the bottom you will have to lower the serving pressure and bleed a little co2 though.

I have a dual product regulator for each of the kegs. And using that calculator tells me the line for the ale is more than long enough, and yet it still is around half foam when I pour a glass. It appears 8psi should be a fine serving pressure, could it be a regulator issue or something?

I don't know the rise from the keg to your taps but looks like if the APA was carbed at 10 psi you'd need about 8.5 ft of line. I thought you said yours were 6. Your serving pressure should be the same as the equilibrium (set and forget) carbing pressure. I would imagine CO2 is wanting to come out of solution if you carb it at one level then turn it down and try to serve it.

I don't know the rise from the keg to your taps but looks like if the APA was carbed at 10 psi you'd need about 8.5 ft of line. I thought you said yours were 6. Your serving pressure should be the same as the equilibrium (set and forget) carbing pressure. I would imagine CO2 is wanting to come out of solution if you carb it at one level then turn it down and try to serve it.

Isn't this the equation for length? L = (keg_pressure – 1 – (Height/2)) / Resistance

I think I figured the issue was the tower needing cooling.

Isn't this the equation for length? L = (keg_pressure – 1 – (Height/2)) / Resistance

The warmer tower will only effect your first pour,After that if you have issues you have other issues.

I was using the calculator that I linked in my first post, the one that the majority of us on this forum have found to be the only reliable one.

calculator

I went through this same problem. Those calculators theoreticaly work but in practice the line resistance of the hose is skewed. I have 13 ft of hose and it works perfect for beers around the 2.3ish range. Anything higher and i temporarily set the pressure lower while serving and crank it back up after I'm done.

I had 1 perlick tap completely crap out on me and both taps were starting to drip anyways so I just ordered the 650's.

How old were the perlicks that leaked?

I have 12 feet of 3/16 hose. I carb at 30 for 1-2 days, lower to 12-14 and bleed it. Rest a week, and I'm good. It's better after 2 weeks.

I serve at about 42 degrees.

It took some playing to get it right.

The warmer tower will only effect your first pour,After that if you have issues you have other issues.

Sorry, I have done a bit more testing, not sure what changed but it appears the second pours are pretty much fine now. Think I just need to install some cooling tubes in the tower.

Latest posts

Back