Kegerator Minifridge: a hole in the top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
Alright, so...

Good: I got a minifridge for free by helping a friend move out.

Bad: Its about 5" too short.

The plan: To cut a hole in the roof of the fridge, through the whole thing. I will cut the hole at the same diameter of the Corni keg, plus maybe an exta 1/4" too put foam/ a rubber ring.

Some other issues are that the door recedes into the fridge too far, so I will likely strip the inner shelves/panels and put a block of 1" insulation.

The keg would be inserted from the top and the top of the keg would stand out the top of the hole about 3-4". I would probably just punch a hole to fun the CO2 in and use a picnic tap for the out.

Anyone got any experience with anything like this or know a similar thread? Advise on how this would effect the cooling power/beer temp. would be appreciated, as this is something of a concern.

Is it decent enough that you could sell it on Craigslist and use the proceeds to buy one that doesn't need as much work?

Im super broke, but have access to everything I need to do the plan, but yeah its in good condition, I just don't think I would get enough to find a bigger one.

Well I don't know how much you've looked but I got a pretty decent one off craigslist for $25 that with a little modification fits 2 kegs and a co2 tank. Keep your eyes out and don't be afraid to haggle. Most people selling stuff will accept less than they ask for.

I doubt that you wont hit any cooling lines with a 9 in diameter hole cut in the top...+1 one to looking for something else

You will almost definatley hit a cooling line. But it might be a nice place to keep your bottled beers...

Back