Kegerator lines. How long??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyBob

Reaction score
I got bev-lex lines today. My beer line is 10 feet of 3/16. Works well. My c02 line is 10 feet longs as well and 5/16. An I at the right length for both line? I filled keg with water and put c02 on. I would set c02 for 20 lbs and when I released into keg it would read about 10 psi different. Is this because of the line being so long? Need some guidance. Thanks

The length and size of the gas line doesn't matter. Your 10' of 3/16" beer line should be fine for most carbonation levels and serving temperatures. The line length has no bearing on the pressure, so I'm not quite sure what's going on there. Are you saying that the pressure between the keg and regulator is different, or the pressure on the regulator changed after connecting it to the keg?

Thanks for response. I just put lines on and wanted to test. I filled keg with water to proper level. Set psi to 20 lbs. released into keg. Burped a couple times. Heard the tank release more co2. I noticed though I had set to 20 lbs before letting into keg but once running through it wouldn't really climb back up. Would stay around 10-15 psi. If I shut peck valve off so no gas was going to keg the needle would rise back to 20 lbs. I was curious because maybe length of gas hose there was more volume or maybe as the keg got empty( I was filling multiple glasses) it was more head space. But it should equal out. I only have a psi lbs gauge. I don have one that tells me how much gas is left. Just bought kegerator used and not sure how much gas is left. Being newer to this set up I wasn't sure. I have 2 kegs and one faucet so I am wanting to condition one keg then switch over to my ready keg and drink. Maybe top off condition keg every once in awhile.

image-2422551918.jpg

This is a trial and error thing. I have 3 different linea and all 3 taps pour the same. I have a 5', 10', and 15'. 15' pours slower is all.

The general rule of 12' is safe but you can likely get by with shorter

I tell people that 6' is the bare bare minimum. If you can fit it, run 10-15'. I keep mine at 15' and coiled and zip tied in the kegerator. It is a good length for all beer styles and pressures.

Aaron

I run 1 ft per every pound per square inch (PSI). I usually serve at 8psi, so 8ft is what I run..If your beer is carbed up at the proper level you should never had any foam issues..The main reason why people have foam issues is the beer is overcarbed, and or the lines are warm...

Thanks. I will have to double check for leaks. I sprayed some foamy star San around regulator and didn't see any leaks. I think given the info I will keep 10 feet of beer line. The gas line I have at 10 feet as well. Is this too long?? For the tower I will be building a cooler using pc 80mm fan in a project box with tubing running to tower. Just bought this off eBay. Thanks for the info.

image-1771436547.jpg

Back