Kegerator leak - not gas - plz help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictimKBrew

Reaction score
So I purchased a dual tap Edgestar kegerator last week. Hooked it up with an IPA and a cider and its been going great for a week. This afternoon I found a yellow substance all over the carpet in front of the front right wheel. I cleaned it up thinking the dog peed there however it didn't really smell like pee or flat beer. I put a box under it just in case. When I came home from work there was more liquid in the box. Obviously this thing is leaking. I've taken the kegs out and inspected all the lines and found nothing...maybe an ounce of cider on the bottom. The cider keg I hooked up with adapters to fit a Corny and see very minor foaming where the beer line hits the top of the Sanke tap, however I don't think this could cause the amount of leakage I found. Next I tipped the kegerator backwards and realized that by all of the wheels it looks to be dripping this yellow substance. The back wheel was actually black liquid. I'm assuming this is some sort of oil mixed in with a lubricant or something? Is refridgerant yellow? I put a towel under it for now but I'm not sure what is going on. Any ideas? The kegerator is at around 42 degrees but the sides of it feel pretty hot. The front and back are cool.

I checked this morning and the drip in the front right seems to be coming from a screw and rubber bumper in the base of the kegerator. This leak is happening in all 4 corners too. I plan on calling the manufacturer today but if you know of anything plz let me know! Thanks.

Was it in a flood? Like a bunch of liquid trapped in the insulation maybe?

It's not the refrigerant - Or it wouldn't cool any more. And if it's not your beer...

I called the manufacturer and they're going to send me a new unit. He said it sounds like its leaking motor oil.

that was my guess...compressor oil, which maybe just got spilled inside, but if its leaking from the actual compressor the unit is faulty. sounds like good customer service at least.

Latest posts

Back