Kegerator........have question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Hooked up first keg tonight. Maintenance pressure is 13 psi. Comes out WAY too fast and foamy.
I tried pinching the beer out hose, and ALL foam. (WTF).
Does anyone reduce pressure when you dispense, then pressure up for maintenance ? (used to do this when using the short dispensing hose)
Or, is balancing the system with various beer out lengths of hose work better.

Brewer3401 said:
Hooked up first keg tonight. Maintenance pressure is 13 psi. Comes out WAY too fast and foamy.
I tried pinching the beer out hose, and ALL foam. (WTF).
Does anyone reduce pressure when you dispense, then pressure up for maintenance ? (used to do this when using the short dispensing hose)
Or, is balancing the system with various beer out lengths of hose work better.

13 would be way to much for me. I have mine set at 8.
Never pinch the liquid line. Any restriction (pinching, partial openning, etc.) will only allow gassy beer to flow through.
I have two systems, I charge my kegs at 20psi (set and forget) for about 4-5 days, then I transfer to my serving rig at 8psi. IF I've over carb'd, I release the gas from the keg a couple time to force-flatten.
If I decide I want to drink from the other (20PSI) system, I simply shut off the manifold valve to that beer, release a little gas and let the ambient pressure push the beer. Then going forward, I charge it a time or two if it needs help getting out of the keg.

Balancing the system is your best bet. I have 6 feet of 3/16th line on all of my beer taps and carbonate between 8-14 psi. At the lower pressures the brew runs a bit slow, but no foam regardless.

Just to reinforce the point, you set your pressure to acheive the level of carbonation you like. From there, you size your beer line to a length that dispenses the beer properly at your desired carbonating PSI level. I'd never go through the effort of dialing pressure down to dispense because you constantly have to go back and forth between pressures. A couple extra feet of beer line is well worth the money.

turn it all the way down, release pressure from keg then start at one or two. it sometimes take a few poors before you'll have your pressure set perfectly the first time.

Back