Kegerator door insulation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatfishClark

Reaction score
So I started my kegerator project this evening and ran into a problem. I took the door off, and started removing the molded plastic shelving. I cut around the perimeter with a utility knife, then used a strong putty knife to pry under the plastic to separate it from the foam insulation underneath. Well, I got the whole thing off, but it took a good amount of the foam with it. I was able to salvage a decent sized chunk of the foam and fit it back into place, but I'm still left with a a lot of room to fill...up to 1.5" in some spots. My plan is to line the inside of the door with a piece of dry erase board (or something similar) so that I have a nice flat, good looking surface. My question.....what do I use to fill that space where the foam is missing? Expandable spray foam? Spackle? Obviously, I want something that will insulate as well as just fill the area. Once filled, I will put the dry erase board in place and run a bead of silicon adhesive caulk around the edge to seal it. That seam will then sit behind the gasket that forms the door seal...

So yeah...ideas on filling that missing foam insulation space? Might it be a better/easier idea to remove the remaining foam, and fill the entire area with foam insulation sheets from Home Depot?...and fill in the gaps with the expandable spray foam, of course...?

20180302_214743.jpg
20180302_214755.jpg
20180302_214813.jpg

Last edited:
Use the low expansion stuff. You should be able to pit some down before you even before you put your finished skin on

I ran into the same issue when I did mine last year. I ended up pulling all the foam out and replaced it with the pink foam insulation sheets. Picked them up at Home Depot. Works pretty well along with an Inkbird. I keep saying I'm going to pull the door off the fridge and spray some foam insulation behind it, but its been a year and that still hasn't happened.

Thanks, everybody! I ended up doing something similar to Griffin495. I had previously built a fermentation chiller (Son of Fermentation Chiller instructions online) out of 2" extruded polystyrene foam...the industrial stuff. I ripped it apart, and cut a panel to fit into the door, then filled around the edges with expandable foam. It worked perfectly! I then glued a piece of dry erase marker board over the foam and sealed it in. The seam will be covered by the magnet gasket, so it should nice and slick!

Back