Kegerator compressor too hot to touch! Not cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdymz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a used U-line kegerator off of Craigslist. When I picked it up the guy said he had just plugged it in for about half an hour, so I simply stuck my hand in and noticed it felt pretty cold. I just turned it on and stuck in a homebrew and noticed that the temperature wasn't getting cool at all after being plugged in for a full day.(~50 degrees). After doing some research I found that the compressor may be getting overheated so I moved it away from the wall. This lowered the temp to ~40 degrees, but the beer is still warm (50 degrees). I removed the back panel and noticed the compressor and surrounding coils are ridiculously hot to the touch. I've noticed the compressor seems to run for an hour or so and then shuts off preventing the temperature from dropping further. I would assume setting off the thermal shut-off thing. Is there any way to fix this or am I better off swapping the parts onto my old dorm refrigerator and making a kegerator? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

I also just took another temp reading after leaving the back cover on the compressor off for an hour and saw that the temp dropped to 32.

Latest posts

Back