kegarator turned fermentation chamber help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisharvey

Reaction score
I had an old fridge with a collar that I was using for kegging beer. In my new house i really don't have anywhere to ferment (no basement) and we are moving to a bigger house that I'll have dedicated brew space for as well as a bar!! that's 2 years away. so for now i'll be bottling exclusively unless its a homebrew competition.

so here is a picture of my set up and i could use the help of anyone who has used a keezer.

1. I have my holes from the keg and want to know how to plug those up the best. I have rubber stoppers in there right now but i'm sure i'm loosing efficency. I used double weather stripping between the collar and the base and used the insulation already on the hood for the top. any suggestions.

2. As you'll see in the other picutre I have some rusting in the seams. Can I use anything to close those up (ie caulk or sealant?)

3. I'm using an STC-1000 with the freezer plugged in and a reptile bulb. i plan on replacing the reptile bulb with a ceramic so i don't have light in the chmber. thoughts on that too

Thanks!

photo 2.jpg

keg.jpg

photo 3.jpg

You could fill the holes with spray foam insulation like "Great Stuff". As far as the rust goes it would probably be best to clean it with a wire brush and then paint with a a rust inhibitor.

there's no actual holes except for the rust coming out where the seems are. are there any refrigerator sealants out there i can paint on or Spackle on?

If you don't clean the existing rust off and get to clean unoxidized metal then the rust will just keep coming! I deal with this often working in a food plant where equipment is washed daily. Like tmoney said, clean it off with a wire brush and then use some rust inhibitor. You'll be glad you took the extra thirty minutes of scrubbing next month when the rust doesn't start to bubble your new "patch" off and your left with the same problem!

Back