Keg to cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same exact concept as using a firkin or a pin. I guess you could say I've done this a couple times with my 1/6 bbl sanke, since it was for parties and I wasn't worried about the beer going stale at all. How I do it is just rack into the keg, prime with corn sugar, seal it up, leave it at the primary fermentation temp for a week or two, then open it up and enjoy. A few things:
1) You want as little head space as possible in the keg
2) For real ale amounts of carbonation, start with 2 oz of corn sugar. A "normal" 5 oz will leave you with way too much carbonation.
3) For serving, you can either go with a beer engine, regular party hand pump, or in the case of a corny, by gravity. Just change out the liquid out tube for a much shorter gas in tube. Lay on its side slightly tilted down and you're good to go. Just don't open up the gas in side until you're sure you've dropped past the level of its opening or you'll probably end up with a mess.

Back