Keg to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
Hey fellow Brewers,

I have a half (2) gallons of brew in a keg. I have 9 psi on that keg for about 5 weeks now. I want to bottle the rest. Thoughts here.. Should I shake the keg up and get the yeast mixed then add a 1/2 tsp corn surger per bottle and cap? I just want to make sure I maintain a good carbonation for a couple months. The last time I did not add the sugar and the beer was flat in a couple weeks.

Thanks

No. If the beer is already carbonated to your liking, you should just dispense it gently into sanitized bottles and cap. Basically you will want to hook up a tube so you can dispense into the bottom of your bottles, drop the pressure to 1 or 2 psi, fill your bottles and cap on the foam.

Adding priming sugar to already carbonated beer is going to result in
bottle bombs.

What equipment to get the beer into the bottles do you have?

If the beer is carbonated to your liking then there should be no need to add anything to bottle. You could bump the pressure up 1 or 2 psi to compensate for the carbonation that will be lost when bottling.

I use the picnic tapper/racking cane method with a pressure of 1 to 2 pounds of pressure. I chill the bottles to match the beer temp. I fill the bottles like normal. Tip the bottles then quickly cap. I did this in the past and within two weeks the beers went flat. I figured there was a different or better way of doing this...

I'm going to try this too. I need to hand out a few beers to friends as xmas gifts. I was going to use swing top bottles and fill them like a growler and just tell them to drink it asap. If this bottling method works then maybe I'll just try this then.

I just filled around 15 bottles last night from the kegs for a Christmas party today. I used the racking cane method on the sticky called; we need no stinking beer gun.

I tried it earlier this week and opened a bottle and it was exactly like pouring from the keg.

I froze the bottles and then gave a starsan dunk. Let pressure out of the keg and then brought to 5 psi. Couldn't be easier. No rush needed to cap. If the foam is low the co2 stays in the beer with the bottles being so cold.

I do not tip on the side and get foam going either.

Back