Keg stamped 614, is it ss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeardbrews

Reaction score
Can't find any info on this number. It is stamped on the bottom if the keg. Can't find any other markings.

image-3786418219.jpg

To those of you in the know about shining the kegs up. I tossed my keg on the burner to thaw it out and smelled the galvanized smell. Do the galvanize these and how do you get rid of it on the bottom where you cannot sand it

Is that 614 an alloy?

Where did you find the 614 markings? A keg will typically have more information around the valve post on it.

Varmintman said:
To those of you in the know about shining the kegs up. I tossed my keg on the burner to thaw it out and smelled the galvanized smell. Do the galvanize these and how do you get rid of it on the bottom where you cannot sand it
Kegs are not galvanized. OLD ones could be aluminum, otherwise they're stainless steel. If you're smelling something funny, then it's probably what's inside it and should be cleaned out.

614 is on the bottom. 13/17 - 15.5 - 96 - 1 is near the valve. Just want to make sure this ss before I drop some cash into it.

614 is on the bottom. 13/17 - 15.5 - 96 - 1 is near the valve. Just want to make sure this ss before I drop some cash into it.

Looks like it was made in January of 1996, so it's 304 (pretty sure, it might be 303) stainless steel. The 614 mark was probably by the brewery to keep track of the keg.

A simple test can determine if it's stainless or aluminum (99.995% sure it's stainless though). Take a metal file to the bottom skirt edge. If it barely cuts, it's stainless, If it goes deep, it's aluminum. If you use a strong, rare earth, magnet on it, you should get a very slight pull from the keg. Since these are 303/304 stainless, there's not much magnetic elements in them. Fridge magnets won't stick at all. You need really strong magnets, like those from hard drives, to get any pull from the keg.

Back