Keg pouring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fvirzi

Reaction score
I have two kegs going in a double regulator. 1 pours good and the other pours way to fast. Any idea what would cause this? Lines are the same size. One is a porter and the other a red. Can’t find anything on line about it. Appreciate any help

Double regulator, as in two-body? One body for each keg?

Any chance the fast-pouring keg is overcarbonated?

Are the line/faucet setups the same (i.e., same length and line ID, same faucets and shanks)?

As day tripper mentioned the test will give you a good indicator of where the problem is. If it follows keg, then I typically have found something blocking the output. If it follows the line, remember, you have two opposing springs on the output connection, one on keg post trying keep it closed and the line trying to force it open. Over time springs lose their ‘springiness’ . Or something restrict flow on that line, watch lines for sharp bends or a blockage.

It has 2 connectors for two lines both using the same pressure if that makes sense. I switched the two and it is the same beer that shoots out. Maybe it is over carbed. I will try lowering the carbonation. At least I know it isn’t with the lines now. Thanks

Maybe it is over carbed.

This would be my first guess. If you purge the gas from the keg and then add just a little bit to push the beer, it shouldn't pour fast, though if overcarbed it may pour with excessive foam. If it is overcarbed and you set the pressure to 12 PSI, what happens is the 12 PSI is not high enough to keep the CO2 in the beer and over a short period of time (hours to a day or two), that CO2 will come out of solution and create additional pressure (>12 PSI) in the headspace, which results in the fast pour. If that is what's happening, decreasing the carb level in the beer will fix it.

Back