keg position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever1000

Reaction score
I just got a kegging system and realized the fermentation chamber I built is too short to fit the keg upright in order to keep the keg cold. Does it matter what position the keg is when I dispense beer? For example, can it be on its side or will this effect how the beer comes out.?

Thanks!

There are spears on sanke keg and a dip tube on a corny that go to the bottom to suck up the beer.Ive never done it but Im going to say its a no go.Im thinking a windex bottle sideways,only gunna get you so far

Yes, your dip tube will be above the liquid line when you are about half empty and you just be pouring CO2. You also do not want to give the beer a chance to flow up the gas out tube. A big no-no.

.Im thinking a windex bottle sideways,only gunna get you so far

^^^
That pretty much sums it up.
If you have a corny keg you might be able to cut the long diptube short a little to use it on its side and be able to get `most` of the beer out. Or if you can fabricate a stand out of wood you can have the keg sit at an angle to have the correct position...

***** I struggled throughout this post to not say something like "They like missionary and 69"

[emoji217]

A possible "hack" would be to find some food grade tubing that fits over the dip tube (probably harder for a sankey) and extends the opening to the lowest "corner" of the keg...

edit - depending on if it's a ball lock or pin lock (dip tube in center or offset divet), you might have to cut the dip tube. Better to just add a collar and do it "right" IMO.

Thanks for the quick replies! Now to find a different solution :)

I did read on a post on here (somewhere) that you can shorten the dip tube slightly and then bend it without kinking the tube so that it sits on the side. Its just making sure you keep the keg on that side so you get the maximum beer out of it

I got a free fridge like the ones that sit on a counter in convenience store. I turned it into a kegerator but a .5 gallon keg would not fit. My solution. Use smaller kegs. I got a bunch of 2 1/2 gallon kegs. Works out great because I can rotate out brews quicker. It has a nitro tap that I rotate a stout and an Irish Red and a regular tap that usually has an IPA on tap.

Back