Keg polishing question regarding polishing disc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently came into possession of 3 keg gels, all of them stock dull stainless. I want to polish them up. I've read most of the threads here and started gathering supplies. Most of the threads mention you should use Gator discs on an angle grinder. I found the Fine disc, but can't find a Polishing disc anywhere. I've looked at the local stores as well as Amazon. All I. Can find are sandpaper grit discs. What grit should I use for the final polishing stage? Or do I need to keep looking?

I also can't seem to find Mibro polishing compound anywhere. I found something on Amazon that seems like it can be used as the final polish (for which I can't find the disc) but can't find the first stage compound. Can I just use normal car rubbing compound?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Have you been to Brewhardware's website? He has instructions as well as the pads and stuff you'll need. I found everything he talks about at Lowes.

http://www.brewhardware.com/polishing-stainless

I recently came into possession of 3 keg gels, all of them stock dull stainless. I want to polish them up. I've read most of the threads here and started gathering supplies. Most of the threads mention you should use Gator discs on an angle grinder. I found the Fine disc, but can't find a Polishing disc anywhere. I've looked at the local stores as well as Amazon. All I. Can find are sandpaper grit discs. What grit should I use for the final polishing stage? Or do I need to keep looking?

I also can't seem to find Mibro polishing compound anywhere. I found something on Amazon that seems like it can be used as the final polish (for which I can't find the disc) but can't find the first stage compound. Can I just use normal car rubbing compound?

I don't know how shiny you need them to be, but I used Barkeeper's Friend and some elbow grease on my kegs and they look pretty nice. Not a mirror finish, but good enough for me.

the round scotchbrite fibre disks at lowes or hd work good they look like what you would use for a pot scrubber

I have to agree, Bobby has it pretty laid out at his site. I found all supplies at lowes. Auto rubbing compound likely won't work...
Be prepared to spend a lot of time. And do yourself a favor and wear hearing, eye and respiratory protection (you'll thank me later).

I have to agree, Bobby has it pretty laid out at his site. I found all supplies at lowes. Auto rubbing compound likely won't work...
Be prepared to spend a lot of time. And do yourself a favor and wear hearing, eye and respiratory protection (you'll thank me later).

What he said!

Metal polishing boogers are UG-LY! :mug:

Lowes doesn't seem to carry the polishing disc anymore ( not the three I went to around here anyways). You can find the other Gator Grits but not the polishing.
However, like you I wanted the polishing. After reading a few older threads on HBT I came across a link in one of the older threads that the store in question does sell the Gator Polishing pads and also the other grits as well..
I ordered two days ago three packs of the polishing. They sent an email with tracking info and the pads should be here on Friday (21st).

There link: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/742010-gator-4-1-2-finishing-discs-2-pack.html#.UwVZP_ldV8E

Turtle wax liquid chrome polish works well also and can be used with an automotive 9 inch buff pad on a regular buffer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I used brass-o it seems to work pretty well

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

I am in process of polishing a couple keggles. I used a 3M stripping pad with light pressure to remove old labels, paint and scuff marks. Then I used the Gator 4.5 Fine disc with VERY light pressure. I have a 3M headlight polishing kit complete with various grades of sanding pads (500 - 3000 grit) and high and low speed angle air tools. For final polish I used the low speed tool with a buffing sponge pad with glass polishing compound with water and a few drops of dish soap for a lubricant. While they still have light swirl marks in places, you can easily see your reflection. I think chrome polish and a 8" buffing pad could take it to the next level.

Definitely took a lot of elbow grease but the comments I get on the look of my system make it well worth it.

photo-3.JPG

Definitely took a lot of elbow grease but the comments I get on the look of my system make it well worth it.

Wow! Very Nice! It looks like your using electric for heat, how do you like it? Do you prefer the cam lock connectors over quick connects?

Cheers,
Pete

Loving the electric set up, super precise control and repeatability. I've only used the quick disconnects on my friend's system once, the camlocks are great and work well for my system. Only complaint is that the rings attached to them sometimes get in the way of closing them making not a "quick" connect. Originally I would've gone with the quick disconnects but I purchased this system partially built, would need to use the quick disconnects more to really decide.

Back