Keg not carbing.... ongoing issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the 3rd time this has happened to a batch.

1st question i have is. Does dry hopping (in keg) (5 oz) in a mesh container cause issues?

I keg the beer cold around 40f (after cold crashing)

Let it sit 10 days at 12 psi...... completely flat.

I then bumped it to 35psi for 16 hours and it's still flat.

There is definitely a lot of pressure in there as I pull release on the keg and it's super loud - especially at 35psi - 12psi as well. I tested the sound compared to another keg and they sound the same.

I poured a glass and my thermopen reads 36F

Another beer I had sitting 2 weeks at 12 psi..... Flat. I bumped to 30 for 24 hours and then flat again. Then all the sudden 6 hours after that it was perfect. Blew my mind. Almost like there's a threshold it broke and POOF!

These only happen to the beers I keg hop.

Any thoughts?

I must admit none of that makes any sense to me, and I can understand a keg losing pressure and a beer going flat over time. But I cannot imagine the opposite happening, where a flat beer is suddenly becoming carbonated. Are you sure the Co2 lines are connecting to the correct kegs?

Check for leaks! You can't always hear them. Spray Star San on all connections, lid, and PRV. Look for bubbles. I once had a QD not clicked down all the way, and it was leaking without making noise. Drained my 5# tank pretty quickly. I checked everywhere for leaks and didn't find any. I then rocked the air QD back and forth and it was hissing like crazy.

So in your "before" scenario you pour a glass and it has no head. In the "after" it suddenly has head?

Crazy! Yes. After 2 weeks under pressure. I served it to 2 friends before a concert (just for the heck of it). Murky and flat...... then 6 hours later get back from the concert and it was absolutely perfect. Great head retention. Tasted great. There's video of me freaking out. And it stayed good till the keg was kicked.

Back