Keg, no fridge, no problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
So,I took a break from brewing and I turned my kegerator back into a freezer. I'm back brewing again but I really like my freezer as a freezer and I dont want to buy another one. Is there any reason I cant just use my keg setup warm?? When I want beer, I will just fill up a growler and stick it in the freezer for an hour or so... I may bottle a few from the tap using my re-usable bottles as well, just to always have some cold. I have tons of growlers and bottles. Any problems with this???

Lots of foam and much less carbonation. Henry's Law is not in your favor on this one.

We had our kegs at ambient temp in the basement for a while (prob 65 degrees). The beer coming out was great, but lost too much CO2 in the transfer to bottles, causing undercarbonation. But it was just fine for serving.

I am a bit curious about this as well.

I don't get my freezer until next week, however i have a corney of beer that has been slow force carbing in the garage at 58 F for one week now at 20psi. I really want to give it a taste... but i know i should probably wait to chill it and use my Freezer next week.

by the time it sat in the freezer for an hour it'll be mostly flat, capped or not.

the warm keg is gonna be throwing CO2 outta solution just like a warm can of soda.

just a thought from a rookie . Use a cooler and make your own jockey box.
Coils of s.s. or a chill plate and lots of ice.

Any other ideas? I have a kegging system but cant get a freezer until july ( wont fit in current apt).

I would think that ur hops would lose significant flavor and aroma if u didn't refrigerate ur beer.

Thad be a shame to waste fresh hops.

just a thought from a rookie . Use a cooler and make your own jockey box.
Coils of s.s. or a chill plate and lots of ice.

Or use the freezr as the jockey box, just be careful if you drill holes through the wall to not hit a cooling line :)
This would actually be awesome! But you would probably need a tonne of tube to drop the pressure from the 25-35 psi that you will need to be carbing at high temps :D

I carb up in my garage in the winter with no problems, the temp stays between 40-50 depending on the outside temp.

I think if I move and don't have a non-heated garage I would have to swindle my wife into not heating one room in our house for beer purposes.

I'm kegging right now without a fridge or freezer. Carbing is the problem. My basement has been staying around 57-55 degrees lately so my carb pressure needed to be about 22-24 psi. I drop 2 of the mixing sticks down the liquid out tube and that has helped my setup tremendously. Before I could only run 16 psi due to serving line length and was undercarbed. Freeze your glasses and go with it... :mug:

I've also found that I've started to like many styles at that temp anyway...

Back