keg liquid lines in between brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewB2Brewing

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with your liquid lines after a keg has kicked, but a planned brew day is not for some time? I've flushed the line, but feel like it wont dry out and then mold could form. Is filling the line with sanitizer a good strategy?

I would not fill with sanitizer longer than a few minutes. I have had a negative effect (hazing). Flush with clean hot water, let dry, when ready for use clean with BLC, and flush with hot water again.

How would you "let them dry?" They're capped on both ends (tap on one end, liquid QD on the other). They simply will not dry out. I've had no issue keeping mine filled with sanitizer. The bottle StarSan comes in is plastic, and the solution inside is far, far more concentrated than what you'll be flushing your lines with. And finally, even if the lines do haze, who cares? What difference does that make - you can't see the lines inside the kegerator.

How would you "let them dry?" They're capped on both ends (tap on one end, liquid QD on the other). They simply will not dry out. I've had no issue keeping mine filled with sanitizer. The bottle StarSan comes in is plastic, and the solution inside is far, far more concentrated than what you'll be flushing your lines with. And finally, even if the lines do haze, who cares? What difference does that make - you can't see the lines inside the kegerator.

Agreed

What does it matter if the lines are 'hazed'
The beer inside the lines is doing more 'damage' to the lines that the Star San would.

You should be replacing your Beer liquid lines when they become discolored anyway.
I replace mine yearly - whether or not they are discolored.

Its plastic tubing, not meant to last forever

just my 2 cents

S

You should be replacing your Beer liquid lines when they become discolored anyway.
In my experience it's more than just discoloration. The haze is actually a slimy layer on the hose that can be rinsed off. I don't know what it is, but I don't want it in my beer.

I have the same issue, first keg ever too. Single tap, just kicked it and brew will be ready to go in 2 weeks. I was thinking of just - turning off the pressure and CO2 but not releasing the pressure in the keg and waiting to clean the lines when the 2nd beer is ready. Since the lines are connected, no infection will get into the line and I'll do it all at once. Does this sound like a decent idea?

Star San is a "Sanitizer"

Pumping it into your liquid lines, under pressure.... so there is No Air.

How can that be bad for your lines?

Or, pumping air threw your lines to get them dry?
Whats in that Air ?
Dust from your Grain Mill? Wild yeast in the air? Bacteria in the Air?

I fail to see how Star San in your lines is worse than having them Open to Air.

Assuming your beer is "clean" - it travels threw your liquid lines
Pumping Star San after the beer - you have no chance for an infection in your lines.
But pumping "Air" into your liquid lines is somehow more Sanitary ?

:confused::confused::confused:

S

In my experience the lines that haze were not not very good quality lines. The bevlex lines that I switched to now don't seem to have that issue. No slime or haze and I leave sanitizer in them for weeks.

I have bevflex ultra lines. They stay filled with either sanitizer, or occasionally pbw, when not in use

Just dont be surprised if you think your lines are clogged when you hook a new keg up. I modded my thermostat to set it in the mid 30s. Starsan freezes pretty easily, pbw doesnt. I usually have to keep my door open for 10min to let a few lengths of line thaw that are trapped in the back of the kegerator before much flows out

In my experience the lines that haze were not not very good quality lines. The bevlex lines that I switched to now don't seem to have that issue. No slime or haze and I leave sanitizer in them for weeks.

I'll have to get me some of this kind of line ~~ Bevlex

Thanks for the info

S

Latest posts

Back