Quantcast

Keg hopping with floating dip tube

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DTrain24

Reaction score
I have keg hopped cold a few times now in a small metal hop spider and it works okay. But i was wondering if it would be better to not use the spider, and instead dump the hops in the cold beer directly, because i also have a floating dip tube.

So would the free hop pellets sink in the cold beer, allowing the floating dip tube to take clear beer from the top?

I am assuming the hop spider doesn't allow for as good of hop utilization.

I also ferment and serve in the same keg, and the trub falls out and never gets into the flloating dip tube im hoping the hops would act the same way.

Cheers!

SanPancho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some will say they do it with no issues. Some will say its gonna get clogged.

mine clogs.

Your mileage may vary.

BeerFst

Reaction score
Which floating dip tube? Cbds with the filter screen? If not that one is there a screen on it?
Without a screen it will clog.

I dry hop with free pellets and ferment and serve in the same keg as well. The only time I’ve gotten caught (not clogged tho) was when transferring to another keg for a double dry hop. To do that you really need to crash it hard to get them to settle. That or leave it in the keezer for several weeks

you will suffer some loss doing it this way but I think you will get better results without the tube
What temp are you dry hopping at? I prefer 65. I crash to 55 or so, dry hop, then let it rise to 65. It might just be temp that’s the issue here

yowzers

Reaction score
I have four of the $20 floating dip tubes you can get on Amazon without a screen and I love them. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Keg-Floating-Dip-Tube/dp/B07ZWFQXWK

I typically use a hop canister to dry hop in the keg. The one time I tried to dry hop loose, I had serious plugging issues. I just don't think anything is gained by doing it except a bit of hop utilization. I also like to use a little dental floss to suspend the hop canister in the top of the beer and you can't do that dry hopping loose.

OP
D

DTrain24

Reaction score
I do not have a filter on the floating dip tube.
So it sounds like free pellets and cold crashing can work, I would just have wait long enough and risk a clogged post.

I have tried dry hopping mid fermentation at 70f, (pressurized fermentation in a keg). But I also was trying now cold hopping in the keg, which brulosophy had good results with. So it would be at cold fridge temp, 35-40f

yowzers

Reaction score
I do not have a filter on the floating dip tube.
So it sounds like free pellets and cold crashing can work, I would just have wait long enough and risk a clogged post.

I have tried dry hopping mid fermentation at 70f, (pressurized fermentation in a keg). But I also was trying now cold hopping in the keg, which brulosophy had good results with. So it would be at cold fridge temp, 35-40f
If you are going to do free pellets, I would definitely do a good cold crash for several days before you test it.

Kmar48

Reaction score
I also dump pellets straight into the serving keg with my floating dip tube and have never had a clogged post. That being said I leave it for a few days to carbonate before I start drawing beer out so I guess that is able to crash the larger particles out. It does seem to take a week or so to get the smaller hop debris to drop out though so I don't escape hop burn/bite early on.