Keg hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Do any of you keg dry hoppers add the hops at room temp then chill the keg with the dry hops still in it? I always pull my hop bag out before chilling the keg but am wondering what kind of results people have had when leaving them in. Would all of the potential aroma already be extracted from the 7 days at say 65 degrees? Would there be any hop goodness left to slowly extract at fridge temps, or would they give off grassiness? Thanks in advance!

In my experience with keg hopping, I rarely experience grassiness in the keg after long duration. HOWEVER, I did experience it once. Generally speaking, I dry hop in the keg and it immediately gets chilled for the duration of the keg. The kegs usually last <4 weeks. I have never experienced grassiness in those.

Recently, I dry hopped a keg and gave it about 5 days at room temp before chilling to serving temperature. This beer was very good for ~5 weeks, after which it started to pick up some of the vegetal/chlorophyll/grassiness from the hops.

I think anything left in the keg for 4 weeks or less will be ok. After that you might start picking up some grassy flavors.

Usually I dry hop in the keg at room temp, then after 4-7 days or however long I want to dry hop for, I throw the keg in the fridge with the hops still in there and they are always great with no grassiness detected.

Recently I took the hops out of the keg right before I threw it in the fridge and I could tell no noticeable difference then when I leave the hops in (same recipe although different times so its hard to get a real accurate assessment).

The only time I got grassy flavors from leaving dry hops in the keg and in the fridge is when I dry hopped and immediately put the keg in the fridge without letting the hops sit in the beer at room temp. I got grassy flavors within 2-3 days and I immediately took the hops out and put the keg back in and the grassy flavors were gone within a week or two.

I now take the hops out before putting the kegs in the fridge because I've never noticed any benefit (flavor and aroma wise) and sometimes if I don't secure the bag to the top of the keg (inside) then the bag of hop sludge will sometimes clog up the dip tube.

Back