Keg hopped now only pouring bad tasting foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
My latest beer, an APA, was pouring fairly clear and well carbed from the keg, but was lacking in aroma a bit. I dry hopped it yesterday with just under 2 oz cascade pellets in a muslin bag with a few marbles to weigh it down a bit. I didn't expect the dry hop to have had a huge effect just a day later but I fancied a pint so poured one off and not only is it horrendously foamy, but once it's settles it's tastes awful, like sucking on a mouthful of hop pellets?

I'm wondering if perhaps the bag has sunk to the bottom and is at the bottom of the dip tube, mean it's pulling through the pellets into the glass causing it to foam and give the bad flavour, or something like that? Any help would be appreciated as it wasn't a bad beer before, but most certainly is now!

I'm guessing either the bag is blocking your dip tube or there could be a little particulate from the hop bag that got into your poppet. Not sure there's a good option other than removing it.

This sounds similar to a problem I had recently. I dry hopped a session IPA I was bringing to a New Year's party in the keg with 4oz of Citra pellets in a hop bag attached to the lid. I think I added the hops on December 27th. Since I was tight on time, I was tasting the beer almost immediately. After about one day, I noticed an off flavor. By the second day, the beer tasted absolutely awful. I removed the hop bag drained it, then squeezed some of the remaining liquid into a glass and tasted it. The source of the bad flavor was undoubtedly the hops (which smelled perfectly normal before adding).

All was not lost, however. After about 1 day sans hop bag the beer was much better; good enough to bring to the party. About two days later, it was fantastic; just as it should have been.

I'm not certain about what caused the off flavor as I've never had this happen before. However, I suspect it was hop particulate suspended in the beer that was causing the issue. This be consistent with the quick return to normal: once the particulate settled, the flavor was gone. (Particulate in your beer would also explain the excessive foam.)

As Double D said, pull the bag out. Then give it a couple of days, pull a bit to draw of the sediment, and the rest should be good.

Hope taste good when boiled with the wort and smell good when dry hopped with. Tasting fresh unboiled hops would not taste good. Some floaters hops would definitely get out of the muslin bag and into the beer.

Ok I'll get it out sharpish then and hope all is not lost. Thanks guys

Opened it up and to my surprise the bag was floating at the top so wasn't blocking the dip tube. Was the only explanation for the off flavour though so whipped it out anyway! The putting it back in managed to stick the gas on the out post so any sediment is well and truly swirled up now 😞

You were most likely tasting suspended hop particulate which is kinda harsh. It burns the back of my throat almost. It settles out though and if you don't move the keg, you won't resuspend it.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back