Keg: Good, Bottle: Flat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xSpeaker

Reaction score
I had a wonderfullly carb'd beer in a keg, used a homemade filler to fill bottles.

Lo and behold, everything went flat. I obviously messed up, but the beer isn't contaminated and still tastes great (except that it's ...flat).

Here's the question:

Is it worth opening all the bottles (about 24-12oz left), dumping them into a keg, and repressurizing? I've got the excess capacity and an empty tap.

I'm thinking yes, but a second opinion certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thanks muchly!

If you are going to uncap them and try to fix the problem it would probably be a ton simpler to buy a bag of carbonation drops. If you were to pour them out into the keg just to carbonate and re-pour back into the bottles you are risking oxidation and contamination. You might not notice these off flavors if you drink them quick enough but I would suggest carb drops.

I also recommend against pouring them back into the keg. I think it's a recipe for oxidation.

I think there's two kinds of carb drops - one that's big and it's one drop per bottle and another that you need to dump in a few smaller drops. I would go with the latter and experiment on a few bottles. Make sure to cap quickly after dropping them in...

Back