Bottling from keg and flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

Reaction score
I recently bottled my first batch of beer from a keg using this and this. I thought I did everything right--the beer was fully carbonated before bottling, I made sure the bottles were cold, I only got a little bit of foam when filling, I filled as high up as possible, and I capped each bottle immediately after filling. But about 3 weeks later the bottles are completely flat. What did I do wrong? And where did that CO2 go? If the bottle is sealed, why is there no carbonation in the beer AND no "psst" when I open the bottle?

If all of the bottles are literally flat, it has to be a seal failure. What kind of capper are you using?
Next batch, include a 12 ounce plastic soda bottle. If that holds carbonation while the glass is flat you'll know you have a capping problem.
Otoh, if it's flat as well something else is going on...

Cheers!

If all of the bottles are literally flat, it has to be a seal failure. What kind of capper are you using?
Next batch, include a 12 ounce plastic soda bottle. If that holds carbonation while the glass is flat you'll know you have a capping problem.
Otoh, if it's flat as well something else is going on...

Cheers!

Thanks--I'm using one of these, which has served me well in capping bottle conditioned beers in the past. But this is a good idea to try out. If that does turn out flat as well, any idea what could be going on?

No clue, really. I don't recall a similar problem that wasn't the result of faulty sealing, so I'm hoping it's bad caps :)

Cheers!

I'm hoping it's bad caps :)

Cheers!
Me too! I just opened a beer from a previous round of bottling-from-keg and it's totally fine. So I apparently am able to do this... suggests it really is the caps.

Back