Keg gelatin fining - can you use too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
I think it’ll be fine, but I have a Pils that looked extra yeasty during the transfer. I’m currently cold crashing in the keg for 3 days and will then do my normal 1/2 packet gelatin in 2/3 cup 150 water. Pour in and mix.
Last time I had a Pilsner that looked similar in cloudiness and the 1/2 packet only did a partial clear. I’m thinking of using a full packet in a cup of water. Issues?

Pilsners (lagers) need extended time to clear. Lager yeast strains are very powdery, they stay in suspension for weeks. That's where the term lagering comes from, cold storage for several weeks. Or longer.

1 tsp of gelatin, dissolved in a little warm, but not boiling, water should be enough for 5 gallons. The colder you keep the keg, the better the yeast flocculates, helped by the gelatin. Temps near 32F are the best. Repeat after 2-3 weeks if needed.

2 weeks at 50, 1 at 65. Using an accelerated lager schedule. Just asking about gelatin amount.

1/4 cup of water heated to 150, then add 1/2 tsp is all you need. This is what I do and the beer is crystal clear. Cool the beer below 50f before adding the mixture.

Back