Keg Foaming - Problem Keg/Post?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruskali

Reaction score
Recently converted a beer fridge to a 2 keg kegerator (which is great!) - but having a problem with foaming out of one of the kegs.

Currently have a Jamil's Oatmeal Stout and an Alpha King PA Clone in the fridge. The Stout is pouring great - and the Alpha King was, but midway through some brews with some friends last night, it started foaming like crazy.

Vitals: Fridge is at 42f, 10psi - 5ft 3/16 beer lines - all should be well.

Foam is very similar to the problem that senorswiss had in this post - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/air-getting-into-beer-line-video-179013/

It seems as thought as it hits the post/poppet, it's releasing all the CO2, there is a very noticeable fizzing/gas noise, and large bubbles and pockets of gas show up in the lines. I think it's some sort of pressure change that's causing it - but where?

I've taken apart and inspected the post and poppet multiple times, all seem fine - i've tried the problem line's disconnect on the other keg, the stout - and all works well then. So i'm thinking it's a problem somewhere in the keg...

Of note- when the keg was full - it was pouring fine - but when it got to about 2/3's maybe 1/2 full - foam started.

Any thoughts are appreciated! :mug:

Oh yeah? It's pretty heavy gauge ss - but I'll have a look.

That could explain why it's ok with a full keg - but then when the liquid level drops...

Thanks RJ - it was a pin hole about halfway up the tube... I'll try some JB Waterweld...

Back