Keg Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbt

Reaction score
I made a sanke keg fermenter cap. It has a blow off port, thermalwell, and adjustable racking cane. So far I have a 1/4 with 5 gal batch fermenting in it right now.

I steam santizeded it and filled it right from the boiling pot. 200 degrees in to the fermenter. I like the idea because it can sit there and cool in a sanitze chamber. But as t cools it sucks in outside air from the blow off.. What can I use to filter it or something??

435e0d0b.jpg

Unless you're planning to pump the cooled water out with CO2, which seems like a huge waste of CO2, you're probably going to fill the thing with "outside air" whenever you dump it anyway. Seems like overkill to filter air at this point, but that's just me.

If it is just air, you can use one of these in-line filters. You shouldn't really get these wet, though:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16797/

Ill have to get a couple of them that should work perfect.

Unless you're planning to pump the cooled water out with CO2, which seems like a huge waste of CO2, you're probably going to fill the thing with "outside air" whenever you dump it anyway. Seems like overkill to filter air at this point, but that's just me.

I am not worried to much once it is fermented. Just the lag period between boil and pitching. This is the most susceptible time for infection.

I am not worried to much once it is fermented. Just the lag period between boil and pitching. This is the most susceptible time for infection.

I apologize, I misunderstood. When you said

"I steam santizeded it and filled it right from the boiling pot. 200 degrees in to the fermenter."

I thought you were talking about dumping 200 degree water in to steam sanitize and were wanting to filter as the water cooled down. Makes more sense now that you straightened me out.:eek:

what about just an air lock? just filled enough so it won't suck the liquid back in, you would at least filter out anything that would grow wouldn't you? then if you used starsan or vodka I think you would be good to go.

I work in fluid processing, programming CIP cleaning ckts for a dairy plant. You never want to put high temperatures in a tank vessel. The air that you are pulling in is caused by a vacuum from temperature differentials. If you restrict the flow to much you will suck in the sides of your tank (keg). Vacuum is a powerful force. I have seen tanker trucks (6000 gallon tank) sucked in due to some one washing it @ 173 degrees and the lid was not open all the way.

I would be very careful or you might deform your keg.

Back