Keg Conditioning & Closed Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayTeeDee

Reaction score
Hi, guy I wanted to try a couple things with my next batch of brews which was closed transferring from my carboys to the keg but the kits I purchased say the beers would do better with up to 4 weeks of conditioning and I thought that I might try keg conditioning as well which will give me time to build my Kegerator. My query is if I do a closed transfer for the purposes of lowering contamination risk and oxidation wouldn't it defeat the purpose that right after that I open the keg to stir in the priming sugar solution or will it still be OK?

Transfer with a couple of gravity points left to drop and it should carbonate itself, or transfer earlier and use a spunding valve to control carbonation level.

Or, pick up a couple of large syringes, fill them with keg primer solution, attach a bare gas disconnect to the keg and inject through the stem...

Cheers!

Or...

Pour the mixture into a clean sanitized 2L plastic bottle.

Squeeze the air out and put on a carbonator cap.

Pressurize the bottle with a bit of CO2 until it pops back into shape (very short bursts required).

PULL THE KEG PRV to depressurize it

Place a jumper on the bottle

Invert the bottle

Connect the jumper to the gas in post

Allow nearly all the liquid to drain into the keg

Quickly disconnect it before it all empties into the keg.

Latest posts

Back