Keg carbonation troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdunham

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've posted but that's because I can always find answers to my questions with a little digging. This time I think I need some help.

I recently kegged my very first beer and after two weeks it is pretty flat. Here's my setup:

1-3/4 gallon keg.
20 oz paintball tank with a Taprite CO2 regulator.
Regulator set at 12 psi for two weeks.
3/16 ID beer line, 6 ft long with a picnic tap.
The keg went in the fridge as soon as I pressurized it.

The beer is slightly carbed and has great head. Almost like Guinness from a can. But nowhere near the carbonation I would expect from a typical American pale ale.

Is the solution to just turn up the CO2 pressure? It seems like I'm already right in the common psi range that most people use.

Reference our favorite carbonation table, find your beer temperature, scan across that row to your desired carbonation level (expressed as "volumes of CO2", where ~2.5 is about typical for American pales), then go up that column to find the matching CO2 pressure to eventually achieve that carbonation level.

fwiw, I use constant pressure for the life of the keg and it takes 2 weeks plus a few days to reach a perfect carbonation level for an average FG ale (say 1.012-.015). Bigger beers (stouts, porters) take at least three weeks and often longer.

So assuming your pressure gauge is accurate, it's just a time thing, short of jacking up the pressure for a day or two...

Cheers!

If there's great head but little carbonation under it then its likely an issue with line length/size. Turn the pressure down a little an see if carbonation improves.

2 weeks isn't enough. I carb all my beers at serving psi and it takes 3 weeks minimum....and I'm not truly happy with the carbonation for at least 4 weeks. It'll be fine, just wait it out. Course, there's no harm in "sampling" while you wait!! :mug:

The fridge temp is 45. Based on the kegerator chart I am over carbing at 12 psi. I am assuming that chart is independent of keg size. Is that an accurate assumption? Also is my beer line too long? Can that affect carbonation in some way?

The fridge temp is 45. Based on the kegerator chart I am over carbing at 12 psi.

Really? 12 psi @ 45°F would eventually equalize at around 2.3 volumes - which would be on the low side for most pales.
At that temperature, 15 psi would get you closer to "typical", imo.

I am assuming that chart is independent of keg size. Is that an accurate assumption?

Yes. Wrt beer volume (and vessel geometry) the missing factor is "time".

Also is my beer line too long? Can that affect carbonation in some way?

Your beer line is actually shorter than recommended (especially if you up the CO2 pressure to ~15 psi).
Insufficient resistance in the beer line can result in excessive head - and in turn, attenuated carbonation.
Refer to the only beer line length calculator worth using to learn more...

Cheers!

Really? 12 psi @ 45°F would eventually equalize at around 2.3 volumes - which would be on the low side for most pales.
At that temperature, 15 psi would get you closer to "typical", imo.

Agreed. I use 14 psi at 42 degrees and most beers are not there but carbed enough for me to start drinking at 1 wk, then I find little perceptible increase in carbonation past 2 wks. I also agree with a poster above, if you have a big head over undercarbed beer it may be coming out of solution too much on the pour so the solution is increased lines. I resisted this thinking for a long time as many folks say they have no problems with 5-6 ft lines, but I've had zero issues since going to 11 ft several yrs ago.

Back