Keg Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging. I have a 5 gallon corny keg and have only kegged once (Kolsch) and not with enough time for it to full carb (4 days) because of a party. The beer being flat really didn't stop people from drinking it since it was gone in 3 hours.

I'm planning on kegging an IPA this weekend and waiting for it to properly carb before drinking since there is no rush. Problem with kegging for me right now is temperature control. I don't have kegerator yet so the temperature it carbs at is usually high 68-70 F. I'm planning on only serving the IPA on weekends so I can ice it and bring the temp down for serving.

I'm very new to this so I'm wondering what problems I might encounter with this? Over carbonation/under carbonation. I'm also wondering what PSI I should force carb to get the desired carbonation since there will be a temperature fluctuation.

Thanks!

Prime inside the keg you mean? Would this be sort of like cask conditioning except with the forced CO2 only for serving?

Prime inside the keg you mean? Would this be sort of like cask conditioning except with the forced CO2 only for serving?

kinda, I have a 5 gallon keg of an APA that I have no room to force carbonate priming with corn sugar when I have room I will chill put on gas and serve

it maybe be fully carbed it maybe not if it needs a few days on gas I will drink it none the less

since you all were drinking flat beer it will have to be better then that :)

all the best

S_M

Here is a carbing chart for psi setting based on temp.

image-3891704481.jpg

Ive done keg conditioning a couple of times with priming sugar @ 68F with just enough co2 to seal the keg air tight.. leave it for 2 weeks and cold crash overnight before you serve it at serving pressure.

Latest posts

Back