Keg Carbing, with a Twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm kicking around some process changes that will allow me to dry hop in the fermenter, cold crash, and transfer to the serving keg, utilizing natural carbonation while minimizing 02 exposure. Specifically, I'm thinking about adding a modest amount of sugar water plus a bit of yeast to the tube I use for racking to the keg, attach one end to my conical's racking port and then put a liquid QD on the other end. Let it rest for an hour or so, let the yeast get warmed up, then commence transfer.

Seem viable? Since I use the fermentation C02 to purge the keg, I don't want to open the keg after fermentation starts. I'm trying to think of ways to add the priming solution without exposing the fermented beer to 02. Good chance I'm over complicating things, I recognize.

I don’t think you need to worry about letting the yeast warm up. Also, i think the minimal amount of oxygen that you would introduce when racking to the keg would quickly be taken up by the added yeast.

How are you preventing oxygen exposure when cold crashing in the primary?

I don’t think you need to worry about letting the yeast warm up. Also, i think the minimal amount of oxygen that you would introduce when racking to the keg would quickly be taken up by the added yeast.

How are you preventing oxygen exposure when cold crashing in the primary?

I'm planning on running C02 to the top port of the conical, around 1 PSI or so. Haven't decided whether to leave the C02 open for the duration of the crash, or just periodically check to make sure the conical still has head pressure.

Leave it open at least until the temperature has bottomed, that will account for the volumetric and pressure changes from the crash.
After that you may be able to get by with a daily blast to account for absorption - the beer will definitely take up CO2 'til it reaches equilibrium again...

Cheers!

Leave it open at least until the temperature has bottomed, that will account for the volumetric and pressure changes from the crash.
After that you may be able to get by with a daily blast to account for absorption - the beer will definitely take up CO2 'til it reaches equilibrium again...

Cheers!

Will do, thanks.

Back