Keezer with collar: Shanks and double hinging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texastrooper

Reaction score
Howdy all
I did some search here but could not find an answer. I am going to build another keezer which fits up to six kegs with the proper collar. Just got a cheap used chest freezer today.
On my previous build build a simple collar from 2x6 and used something like 4" shanks and they protrude in the keezer quite a lot.
Now I am looking for a solution where I have the shanks not going in that far to make it easier to lift out kegs.
Either I go for double hinging or I can use less protrusive shanks.
Single hinge:
What type of shanks are people using with the collars? And are there any elbow nipples so that i could route the beer lines downward rather than across the keezer?
Double Hinging:
Shank length is not much of an issue and the longer the shank the better it stays cold. I am looking for a proper seal to seal the collar against the keezer. What have people been using here? Just some sort of weather stripping?

A two-by has a nominal thickness of 1.5" (heading for 1.375", I swear) so you could certainly use a shank meant for a max wall thickness of 2.5" (4" total length, typically). And you can add a 90° tail piece to drop your beer lines straight down...

Cheers!

When I built my 6 tap keezer, I too was concerned with the shank protruding into the freezer space.

I ended up using 3" SS shanks and countersinking the holes. I am able to put 6 ball locks in the keezer (4xfloor, 2xhump)

I did double hinge and used weatherstripping (foam) and have been very happy with it.

Here are a few pics of the shank holes. I took a bunch of pics throughout the build so if there is something specific you want to see in the build process, just let me know.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394505335.893545.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394505351.421039.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394505366.930030.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394505379.489271.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks guys. This is a nice clean setup and the counter sinking looks like a good idea. I am planning on having 6 taps as well.
What type of drill did you use to drill the larger holes with?

I used my Milwaukee 1/2" drill....but I think a standard 3/8" drill with a large bit would work fine too. I just drilled it larger than the shank nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back