Keezer to ferment and serve? Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
So I have a massive older 23cf refrigerator with a freezer up top I've used as my serving fridge (5 kegs) with a bit extra for misc bottle storage. Freezer has a few household food items and my hops.

Recently bought a new 15cf chest freezer and temp control it for fermentation. Life is grand right?

I brew also in my garage where both units reside. Well it's getting hot out and the fridge can't cool worth a damn, runs 24/7 and is holding at 60. Thinking I may move it to the basement for continued use since it should work properly in a more controlled temp environment. Not a fan of lugging kegs to the basement much less to pour a pint is my main reason not to do this.

Why not ditch the refrigerator and use my keezer as my serving unit and the couple weeks every couple months I brew I can up the temps to ferment and just not serve out of my kegs for that timeframe. I don't want to get into fermwraps and other controllers at this point. I can fit maybe 6 kegs in it and 2 buckets/BB/carboys and only need to build a collar and install my faucets. And I regain some valuable garage space.

Thoughts? Current setup

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403433236.112041.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My initial thought is that while during fermentation use you don't serve, the carb level of your kegs will fluctuate from the temp changes and may be a PITA to constantly have to play with, others may have different thoughts:)

Sent from the Commune

That's what I do, although my keezer is small, so I have to remove the kegs for a few days. After initial fermentation is complete, I remove the carboy and toss the kegs back in.

For your setup, I'd just remove the disconnects from the kegs(not sure if necessary, but better to be safe), warm the keezer up, and throw your fermenter in and let it do it's thing. After initial fermentation is complete, you can pull your fermenter out and let it finish at room temp with no issues/off tastes. Pop the kegs back in and continue the party!

Be aware of moisture though. You should probably already have a fan and dehumidifier... right?

I have a fan inside. No need to remove the kegs, I just packed it with 5 kegs with my two 5 gallon buckets that are currently secondaries with some blonde on some strawberries and mangos. I can't see me fermenting more than 10 gallons at any point.

I just have the one keezer. Before I ferment an ale I'll just fill several 2 or 3 liter soda bottles of what's on tap to put in the kitchen fridge for drinking while the keezer temps are elevated.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/
Yeah I will do the same, but most will get drank on brew day :drunk:

Thanks for the link, but I bought a growler fill tube for my new perlick faucets. Have yet to ever cap a bottle, but that day will come soon with a club comp coming up next month.

It runs 24/7 to hold 60. Hardly efficient. I'm sure it will work again come fall, but I'll likely get rid of it to gain space. I can ferment in my basement like I have for years. I just like finally having some temperature control. :)

I wouldn't haul a suspect fridge down the basement.

I had to cut huge dead fridge in half to get it out of my basement.

My experience with fridges and freezers is that if they are not easily holding temp they either need repair or disposal. Not to mention excess power consumption.

Sorry for the pessimistic viewpoint, just my experience.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I wouldn't haul a suspect fridge down the basement.

I had to cut huge dead fridge in half to get it out of my basement.

My experience with fridges and freezers is that if they are not easily holding temp they either need repair or disposal. Not to mention excess power consumption.

Sorry for the pessimistic viewpoint, just my experience.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/
It's not going anywhere. Our electric company will give $50 for a running fridge/freezer. It's getting hauled off in the near future. Now to acquire more brewery stickers :beard:

On your fridge, what have you done "maintenance wise" whilst it has been in service?

Are the condenser coils clean and dust free, the same for the condenser fan blades?

It will make a world of difference it it has been neglected!

It's an old (unknown age) unit off CL. I looked and it's clean, not spotless but clean. I may plug it in again to see if it does it's job and leave it as an "anything but keg" fridge. We shall see

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

New keezer/fermentor. Hope once the spaghetti is cleaned up putting in carboys won't be a total PITA. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403739293.643105.jpg

Back