Keezer problem - not cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAHammer

Lovin' the beach...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Need some help from the professionals here...
I built a keezer from a Kenmore 8.8 ft3 (16949) about 3 years ago. Uses the STC controller and everything has worked fine up until about a week ago. I noticed that the cooling cycle seemed to be on longer than normal. Looking inside the freezer, I notice ice build up inside the top edge of the freezer about 2 to 3 inches down from the top. Now the freezer is on full time and will only get down to 44F (setting is 35F).
The only thing I have tried is to unplug everything, let it sit overnight and plug it back in. No changes.
I've moved the temp sensor around but that makes no significant difference.
Anything else I can check?
Looks like Sears doesn't sell this model anymore (maybe this is why) so if I replace the freezer, I'll have to rebuild collar and all.
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Im not a professional but... does it sound like the compressor is starting normally or does it simply hum? This could lead to it being a bad capacitor and you can also check your relays as well. I ended up purchasing a "hard start" off amazon to rule out all electrical issues.

You cold also have a leak in a coolant line or something, does this model have a service valve?

My keezer (magic chief) blew up last month so ran though a gambit of tests I ended up having to replace the unit, I went with the kenmore 12112 11.1 cu ft. so if you need me to pull collar dimensions off that model for you let me know.

Pretty sure the compressor is running since it is cooling some. I'm figuring a coolant leak but was wondering if this is typical if the coolant is low. I'll check for a service valve but I doubt it.
Thanks for the offer. I'll holler when I decide the next step.

Pretty sure the compressor is running since it is cooling some. I'm figuring a coolant leak but was wondering if this is typical if the coolant is low. I'll check for a service valve but I doubt it.
Thanks for the offer. I'll holler when I decide the next step.

"I notice ice build up inside the top edge of the freezer about 2 to 3 inches down from the top."

Classic symptom of a chest freezer low on refrigerant. I bet as time moves on that build up will focus more on one corner as the refrigerant level continues to drop.

Major suckage. Hopefully you can find a replacement at modest cost...

Cheers!

Classic symptom of a chest freezer low on refrigerant. I bet as time moves on that build up will focus more on one corner as the refrigerant level continues to drop.

That's really the answer I expected as the icing area is getting smaller each day. Hopefully, I can get another up and running before it gives up completely.

I was hoping to get a replacement unit that matched this one to keep from rebuilding the collar. However, this model is discontinued and replaced with one with different dimensions.

Thought by going new that I would avoid this for a while. However, the unit is on my screened porch so I knew it would be a challenge.

Thanks for the response. Keezer build here I come!

I just recently had the same issue with a Kenmore (Sears) chest freezer that was about 3 years old. I installed the "hard start" kit from Amazon and that didn't help. The compressor ran continuously it just wouldn't cool down.

I was pretty bummed that I might have to rebuild my entire collar to fit a new freezer. But, I found a Frigidaire that had the exact same measurements as my old Kenmore. I believe they are made by the same company so its worth checking them out. You might be able to just swap the collar over to the new freezer.

Good luck!

You might try cleaning evaporator coil and condenser coil. Not sure where they are located. Dirty evap coils will cause freezing on home ac units. I'm guessing take the side plate off and blow out with air.

You might try cleaning evaporator coil and condenser coil. Not sure where they are located. Dirty evap coils will cause freezing on home ac units. I'm guessing take the side plate off and blow out with air.

Pretty sure we're way past any of this, but...
The evaporator is buried inside the cavity of the freezer cabinet.
So you'd clean that - how?

Cheers!

I just recently had the same issue with a Kenmore (Sears) chest freezer that was about 3 years old.
I was pretty bummed that I might have to rebuild my entire collar to fit a new freezer. But, I found a Frigidaire that had the exact same measurements as my old Kenmore. I believe they are made by the same company so its worth checking them out. You might be able to just swap the collar over to the new freezer.

Good luck!

I think the new Sears/Kenmore version (12909) is the same as the Frigidaire (FFFC09M1RB) currently available at Home Depot. However, I'm not finding anything like the older Kenmore that I have (16949) and that appears to have been discontinued. Also looking for black and that limits the availability.
Thanks for the help though. Appears that I need another project:smack:

I've tried just about all of the "simple" fixes short of bringing out the hammer. I think like 'trippr says, this is toast.

After I get it all apart, maybe I can have someone find the leak and repair. By then, I'll have another keezer and this can be the "spare".
Hmmm...might have to buy some more kegs :mug:

The condenser coil is easy to get to. Should be in the compressor compartment with a small fan that blows room air over it. Just like the a/c on the outside of your house, if it gets dirty head pressure goes up and it does not cool well. (trips on pressure switch.) I do not do refrigeration work, only heating and air conditioning contracting, but it is the same principle. Over the years I have washed out many condenser coils on commercial freezers and coolers for customers and fixed the problem.

Almost every chest freezer manufactured these days has the condenser coils in the walls of the freezer, not as a dedicated separate component.

I've got the EXACT same problem with a keezer in my garage. Thick layer of ice near the top, 65F at the bottom. Been that way for a week. Funny, it does stay at a pretty good ale fermentation temp, but it won't go below that.

I might open the panel on the side and give it a look tomorrow, but I'm not spending much time on it. I had one die a few years ago and I spent stupid time on it trying to fix. Wasted time. I'm already scouring craigslist for the next one.

I think the new Sears/Kenmore version (12909) is the same as the Frigidaire (FFFC09M1RB) currently available at Home Depot. However, I'm not finding anything like the older Kenmore that I have (16949) and that appears to have been discontinued. Also looking for black and that limits the availability.
Thanks for the help though. Appears that I need another project:smack:

Yeah, finding black is not easy.

It looks like my Kenmore (a few years old) was 18702 and I replaced it with Frigidaire FFFC07M1QW. They are exact matches.

Good luck.

Ordered the one from Sears and will pick up Saturday. Measuring for materials and (hopefully) a new keezer in operation soon.
Thanks for all the help guys.

I noticed that the cooling cycle seemed to be on longer than normal. Looking inside the freezer, I notice ice build up inside the top edge of the freezer about 2 to 3 inches down from the top. Now the freezer is on full time and will only get down to 44F (setting is 35F).

I've got the EXACT same problem with a keezer in my garage. Thick layer of ice near the top, 65F at the bottom. Been that way for a week. Funny, it does stay at a pretty good ale fermentation temp, but it won't go below that.

:(

Same thing happening to mine....7 year old fridgidaire 7.2cf.

Won't cool, runs nonstop, and a layer of ice in the top corner.

Consensus is that it's toast?

Ice localized to an upper corner indicates there is so little working fluid remaining that the system can't maintain vapor pressure through the evaporator, hence what little dense vapor remains "flashes" at the start of the evaporator loop. Eventually even that cold spot will disappear.

tl/dr: "It's Dead, Jim"

Sorry...

Ice localized to an upper corner indicates there is so little working fluid remaining that the system can't maintain vapor pressure through the evaporator, hence what little dense vapor remains "flashes" at the start of the evaporator loop. Eventually even that cold spot will disappear.

tl/dr: "It's Dead, Jim"

Sorry...

Thanks, at least I won't have to waste time/effort chasing a fix...

The whole "fix" paradigm is vanishing wrt consumer appliances, I fear.
My wife is ok with that - she's not all that happy that I kept virtually every appliance we bought 40 years ago running.
I finally capitulated wrt to the kitchen stuff with the total gut/redo we survived recently.
But the laundry washer and dryer remain circa 1978 :rock:

Cheers! ;)

The whole "fix" paradigm is vanishing wrt consumer appliances, I fear.
My wife is ok with that - she's not all that happy that I kept virtually every appliance we bought 40 years ago running.
I finally capitulated wrt to the kitchen stuff with the total gut/redo we survived recently.
But the laundry washer and dryer remain circa 1978 :rock:

Cheers! ;)

You sound exactly like me. Every large appliance here has been fixed by me numerous times.

Thanks, at least I won't have to waste time/effort chasing a fix...

I did “store” the old freezer in the garage after I built a new keezer thinking it might be worth something. When I finally plugged it back in the compressor wouldn’t even start. Went to the curb and the scrap folks picked it up quickly.

Back