Keezer paint problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolupop

Reaction score
I recently started a keezer project after months of research. My problem is with the paint I used to paint the white chest freezer.

I used Rust-Oleums Universal aged copper
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Universal-11-oz-All-Surface-Metallic-Aged-Copper-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-6-Pack-261401/202899739

I sanded the freezer metal and TSP cleaned it. I let it cure for 3-4 days, yet it still isn't completely cured. Last night I strapped the collar to the base of the freezer with ratchet straps and moving blankets. When I went to take off the straps the moving blanket had left some fuzz and imprinted the texture on the freezer.

My question is, Should I use a clear coat to help protect the paint? Has anyone had this problem with this paint? Should I use a blow dryer?

If the paint you used hasn't cured, applying another product over it won't help, probably make things worse:(

I would contact Rust-o-leum and ask them why it hasn't bonded and cured before doing anything else.

The product states virtually any surface but doesn't list metal specifically unless I missed it. Probably has something to do with the prep of the surface

Sent from the Commune

Back