Keezer number 8.372 trillion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMOBrewer

Reaction score
I had a thread "Keezer tips" a while ago, but for the build I decided to start a new one. I hope to get a lot of stuff done tomorrow and have beginning pics. 94 tomorrow I make no promises.

image-3732658350.jpg

image-2852347899.jpg

image-2872533203.jpg

I just hope you orient the pictures so I don't have to twist my head to figure out what you are doing.

New Pictures!!! I was able to make some progress in 95 degree heat and a broken (frozen) window AC unit. I can't figure out how to turn pictures on my iphone, if anyone knows how, please let me know. Two pictures show the taps I have in, perlicks FTW!! One shows 2 hockey pucks, and baseball I am going to make into tap handles, does anyone know a drill size I need to install the thing to screw on the tap? The last one shows a lemon wheat in my carboy.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I know you're excited, so I'll try to frame my post so as not to burst your bubble.

I'll start with the blunt truth. Those are some gnarly 2x4s. Rough stud lumber may be cheap, but it ain't pretty. Also, at a minimum, put 2 screws in each end. It's bound to twist itself apart as is. A corner brace would help.

Now for the good news - it wouldn't cost much to get some thin hardwood veneer plywood to cover the ugly construction lumber (and missing chunks from an errant saw blade). A little adhesive and some finishing nails, and your keezer will thank you. Stain it and add a simple coat of spray poly. All's well!

No matter what you do, any keezer is better than no keezer, and it doesn't have to be pretty to serve beer :D

Alright, blunt or not, I was planning on three, but some donkey stole my screws from my front porch of my apartment so I had to use what I had. Getting more asap. There is a little bit of glue in there, and I'm adding inside braces later. I wanted the cheapo wood because I didn't know if i'd need to cut twice because I suck as measuring. As it turns out, I was able to cut once. Stain, or something will be put on the wood before I glue it to the keezer. I'm also planning on painting or something the freezer but don't know what yet. SWMBO wants chalkboard but its not smooth so I don't know. I'll keep the veneer in mind when deciding. I mainly wanted something so SWMBO didn't think I would keep spending money and not getting anything for it. There is no such thing as being mean when trying to help. I'm hoping to get a pint out of it into my AHS glasses next week sometime as I am kegging an APA this weekend.

Didn't mean to put you on the defensive. Sorry if I was too blunt there. There's a lot to be said for cheap and effective, which isn't always compatible with pleasing and pretty.

And who steals screws?!

Hell nah your fine. I tried implying that but it didn't come through the internet. Damn you Al Gore for not adding that. I'd rather be defensive anyway and end up with a better keezer than people being nice to me.

Who steals screws? Lets just say my neighbor was in court today again. Idk what for this time but last summer he was in for throwing fruit at SWMBO's car while piss drunk at like 4 am. If people weren't allowed to attack my doings I woudn't put them online!!!!

Hell nah your fine. I tried implying that but it didn't come through the internet. Damn you Al Gore for not adding that. I'd rather be defensive anyway and end up with a better keezer than people being nice to me.

Who steals screws? Lets just say my neighbor was in court today again. Idk what for this time but last summer he was in for throwing fruit at SWMBO's car while piss drunk at like 4 am. If people weren't allowed to attack my doings I woudn't put them online!!!!
Might want to put a lock on it if said neighbor can reach it:D

Re: the woodworking. I'm just getting going on my brewing, but have been a hobby furniture maker for awhile. The glue won't do much for twist, if the pine twists, it's gonna twist, and it's because of moisture (read humidity) and temp difference. A little insulation on the inside might go along way to efficiency, and keeping the collar straight. If it does fail, laminate some cabinet grade ply, and poly the heck out of it, and you'll be solid.

On the keezer, I'm noob enough that yours is the first I've seen. Sweet, jealous!

Alright, here we go, lol.
Any questions? Comments? I won't jump on you like it seemed I did to yuri. Sorry for that btw.

Also, does anyone know a drill size to add the tap screw adapters?

DSCN0441.jpg

DSCN0442.jpg

DSCN0443.jpg

DSCN0444.jpg

DSCN0446.jpg

man I wish this was a joke.

A for effort, but you should do a ton more research on this forum before attempting something like this.

here's my keezer mid build right now:

254419_10150197042924499_669369498_7139811_5718142_n.jpg

The bottom will be black as soon as I get more cans of truck bed liner, and the collar has another coat of stain on it to clean up the thin spots around the lid.

I used 2x6 Oak.

I didn't say you suck.

The color loosk a million times better than it did before you sprayed it, but you could have taken a little more time in how you wanted it presented. You could have used braces in the inside to hold it together so that you didn't have screws showing from the front. As for the paint, you pained right over the handle, lock and plastic trim. And take this as constructive criticism, but you did a very poor job. You have multiple super thin sports, and drips everywhere.

I am by no means a master at any of this. I'm the son of a carpenter that has shown me nothing of the trade, and I have never been great at building anything besides a pallet.

Like I said before, A for effort. In the Marine Corps. we had a saying. Great motivation, but horrible judgement. Not to say you suck at life, but you could have put a little more thought into presentation.

Your friends and family will likely be served from that keezer... it should reflect the time and love you put into the beer you put into it.

Thanks for the compliment on the paint. I still have some in my can and will be touching up the light spots. I wanted to get it back inside because it was hanging half in my kitchen, half outside. I even had to run to the hardware store while my apartment was open with it sitting there. The screws were easier and cheaper than buying clamps and gluing it. I thought and planned this for hours and it turned out better than I had hoped. My fiance and I both love it, and I feel it'll do the beer justice. Painting over the lock, and handle is because I am going to be putting a nail in the wood collar and locking it soon. It's also easier to open. There you go, reasons for all the constructive criticism you had.

Back