Keezer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently built a keezer and i'm running into a few problems i may need help with. The build was pretty successful, I was able to essentially just build a wooden collar and glue it on with some super strong glue from the hardware store. This allowed me to avoid drilling any holes into the freezer itself. The draw back of this is that the collar is pretty tall due to having to use the same bolt holes in the back of the freezer for the hinges (using the previous top hinge bolt holes for what is now the bottom of the hinge). As a result the collar is about 8 to 10 inches high.

On startup the keezer seemed to be able to get to the correct temperatures, but the more vessels I put in the keezer (4 kegs and a carboy and still room for more) the warmer it seemed to get. I put a small bedroom fan inside but it didn't seem to change anything. I then decided to tack insulation inside to the wood just in case the collar was letting cold out. Still, no change. The compressor is running very hot and doesn't seem to ever turn off.

My next step was to turn it off for a day and let it de-thaw just in case something became frozen and wasn't working correctly. I plugged it back in and now I can't seem to get anything below 50 degrees inside.

The freezer was used and does look a bit old. I'm worried the compressor might be shot. Is it going to be more trouble than it's worth to try and replace the compressor? Is there anything else I should try? And, most importantly, with the compressor running too hot to touch 24 hours a day do I need to worry about it being a fire hazard?

I'm using a johnson control temp controller with the probe submerged in water. The freezer temp is set to it's coldest setting.

Any help would be awesome, I really am bummed this project is turning foul on me :(

Sounds like it's low on coolant (freon?). Could be a handful of other problems as well, but from my experience, it's not looking good. Go back to daily browsing of Craig's List for another unit...

Quick questions....
Did you move the freezer around a bit before turning it on? (after your build)
Where did you put the temp probe? ( see it is in water but where and how much water?)
How quickly did you add the Warm kegs/carboys?

Also did you do a light test for gaps?

Back