Keezer Do Over - Removing tower and adding collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyDude

Loud Mic
Reaction score
Hey all! I love all the great posts regarding keezer builds, but haven't been able to find the answer to my specific dilemma.

I currently have a 7cf keezer with a triple tap and want to convert it to a collar model for a few reasons. the problem is, the lid now has a 2.5" hole that I will need to fill with insulation. I would like this to look semi decent and will be building a cabinet in which to enclose the whole thing, including an exterior gas tank and drain bucket.

My question is, How would you attach a wooden counter top to the lid? It would likely be some thin plywood with a nice looking frame around the edges, but I want it to look like the wood is the actual lid. Or, would replacing the lid be preferred?

Below is a picture of the road beast in her current incarnation. She's been through hell! deserts, beaches, mountains, and minivans. It's time to dress her up to take her place of honor inside the house.

Any and all suggestions appreciated! thanks in advance and cheers!

Keezer1.jpg

If you are going to add a cabinet, how "good" does the 2.5" hole fill have to be? I wouuld think a few options are: cut some R grade foam board to fit. Use spray foam (carefully). Use heavy pipe insulation foam and tape?

Sorry these are probably not what you want.

I just wanted to comment how sexy i think that girr already is!! I would be proud to have it as-is! (But no way it would pass the swmbo test!).

How big are thoose casters?!?! Looks ready to off-road!!!
Beautiful!!!

Given that you are going to build a cabinet anyway, and will be stored indoors, I suggest scrapping the freezer lid and building one from wood. A little bit of extra work, but worth it imo. I did that with my build, works great. Your cabinet could be wider than the freezer to hide your CO2 tank and drain bucket, and the lid will cover it all - provides a nice, stand-alone finished look, which is (virtually) guaranteed to achieve the coveted swmbo seal of approval.

If you do decide to attach a wood finish to the freezer lid, this dude did it with some carriage bolts straight through the lid.
https://brewingwithalex.wordpress.com/2015/06/10/new-kegerator-design-reclaimed-wood-and-pipe/
Depending how heavy the lid is, you may need a gas strut to hold the lid open, I would be reluctant to rely on the original freezer lid hinges for that.

Last, I'd probably just fill the hole with some spray foam insulation from the underside, trim it off, and finish the underside some PVC or something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back