Keezer Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturie

Reaction score
Hope this prevents someone from making this mistake.

My keezer has 3 cornies with picnic taps and a 5lb CO2 tank. It's a tight fit. Yesterday around 7pm I grabbed a pint of my new Scottish 70 (fabulous) which came out a bit foamy. So I dropped the tap and tried to read the pressure, but had to kind of shove the CO2 tank around to see the gauge. Looked OK, so I guess it was my bad pour, and I closed the lid.

Evidently that shoving action must have pinched the picnic tap between two cornies. A couple of hours later I go to pour another pint, and nothing comes out. Check the pressure, and the tank is empty. Right about then I noticed that there was about 8 inches of beer sitting in the bottom of the keezer!!!!! The pinched tap emptied about 4 gallons of the Scotch Ale and then proceeded to bleed my CO2 dry. What a mess.

Moral of the story: carefully store your picnic taps, and check over your system before you shut the lid.

This is part of the reason I ran my Picnic Taps out through my collar. The eventual plan is to replace them with Perlicks... but until the money comes through at least I won't have to wake up to such a nightmare. (I pray)

Sounds like you need...a REALLY long straw.

:eek:

(I live in fear of that. I try to check all my cobras every time I shut the door.)

Back