keezer collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sredz

Reaction score
I acquired a chest freezer that I'm converting onto a kegerator. I can fit 6 kegs on the floor. Plan to have a 3 tap set up to start with hopes of 4 in future. I can fit my co2 tank & regulator on the hump with a 4" collar. With an 8" collar I would have room for 2 more kegs on the hump. I'm kind of on the fence about which way to go. 8" seems pretty big for a collar on this size freezer. But it would be nice to have the extra space. Anyone see any reason not to use an 8" collar?

With an 8" collar, will you be able to reach the bottom easily for cleaning? Are you going to put it on a dolly/casters so it is easy to move (adds more height)? Will you be able to (again, easily) put a keg in it with the higher collar without breaking you back?

All questions I wish I had though more about when building my keezer. I used 6x1 wood for my collar and I do have it on wheels. I can put kegs in easy enough, though tricky to avoid tap shanks, but I can hardly reach the bottom to clean/soak up condensation (soon not a problem)

I'm in the process of finishing my collar right now. I actually went with a 9" collar so that I can get kegs on the hump if I ever need to. I'm 6'4" so reaching the bottom of the freezer even with the collar on isn't an issue. One thing I have considered is positioning my chain hoist above the keezer so that I can gently lower full kegs into position.

I went with the 8in myself. I hinged the collar as well as the lid. I'm really happy with it in that configuration. The hinges have no problem holding the lid and collar open. I just found replacement hinges for the model of freezer i had.

Edit: Also with the lid and collar open it gets my beer and gas lines out of the way when putting in or taking out kegs.

Thanks for the comments. I have a smaller (5 cu ft) keezer now that has an 8” collar. I can just barely reach the bottom (I’m 6’4” too, so I do have a height advantage). It’s a little bit of a pain getting the kegs in and out but it’s been do-able. The hardest part is cleaning the bottom. This freezer is a 12 or 13 cu ft freezer so I was more worried about overworking the compressor with a larger collar space. It’s an older freezer so I want to go easy on it. I’m using a love controller. I plan to insulate the collar well so I’m guessing it won’t be a problem. I do like the 2 hinge idea. I have a second set of hinges that I can pull of the old keezer that I could use to do a dual hinge. May have to think about that.

2013-04-02_18-11-07_85-59292.jpg

Works like a charm. Since you already have the hinges it will be cheaper then what I did. It does help with cleaning. I'm 5'11 so it helps me more than it would you.

I'm debating putting a 8-10" collar on mine since it is starting it's life as a fermentation chamber (my roomate already has a keezer, and I'm slowly building mine while I keep my kegs in his) and I want to be able to fit two fermenters in it. I was just going to put one of these step stools next to it to get in and out, but I may just do the double hinge idea. Either way, I think a step stool would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as cleaning with a tall collar and casters could you not purchase a rag mop and use that for cleaning the bottom?

2013-04-02_18-11-07_85-59292.jpg

Works like a charm. Since you already have the hinges it will be cheaper then what I did. It does help with cleaning. I'm 5'11 so it helps me more than it would you.

Thanks for posting, that looks slick! Did you put some weather stripping between the collar and freezer? Just wondering how it seals up.

Thanks for posting, that looks slick! Did you put some weather stripping between the collar and freezer? Just wondering how it seals up.

yes there is weather stripping along the bottom of the collar. i dry fit it all together and let the keezer get to temp. checked for leaks by hand and with a infrared temp gun and found no issues. then i proceeded to connect the hinges. wheels under the keezer help. This way you can push it back closer to the wall, still be able to open the lid, and when you need to open both just move it forward a touch. Of course you can for go the wheels but it gives a little extra room in tight spots.

edit: just realized you are from WI. been working there on and of for a while. mostly fon du lac, beaver dam, madison, door county, chilton, green bay,.. ok well kinda all around there. WI is on the short list of other state I would live if I had to leave Ohio, not that Ohio is amazing but it's where my family is. I stop by a buddy's north of the city and load up on homebrew for my trips when he happens to be home.

I'm debating putting a 8-10" collar on mine since it is starting it's life as a fermentation chamber (my roomate already has a keezer, and I'm slowly building mine while I keep my kegs in his) and I want to be able to fit two fermenters in it. I was just going to put one of these step stools next to it to get in and out, but I may just do the double hinge idea. Either way, I think a step stool would help.

I have three of those around the house. My fiance is a bit on the short side so she has them strategically place around the house. they work well.

The double hinge idea is not mine by the way. I did pick it up from some one else's build here on HBT. Thanks to whom ever that was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back