Keezer build question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roscoeray13

Reaction score
I am about to start building a Keezer. I have watched numerous videos and have done tons of reading. I don't see that much on commercial kegs. I am not a home-brewer so corny keg measurements will not really apply. I am struggling on what size chest freezer to buy. I am going to have 4 taps but I am probably only going to run 2 maybe 3 at a time. I don't want to be limited as to what size I run, for the most part would only be quarter slims. Should I go larger than a 7 cu ft?

A 1/6th keg is quite similar to a homebrew corny and many many breweries use them, so the commercial keezer isn't much different from a homebrew keezer.....until you get short 1/4ths or full 1/2s involved.

It is REALLY hard to get a full 1/2bbl keg into a chest freezer, especially with a collar! Seriously really hard. I have an extra gas line and picnic d-tap I use for 1/2 bbls....for outside the keezer in a trashcan full of ice!

Thank you for the replies! I did not think about the actual weight of the keg lifting it over a collar. I am going to cut some circles. I really appreciate the help.

There is definitely a thread on this site somewhere that has photos of 95% of generally used freezer models that include the cutouts for cornys. Take a searchabout (or just go through google) and you'll probably find your fridge and some corny vs 1/6th info. I have a 7 1/4" collar on a 7cf freezer and there is no way in heaven or hell I could get a keg of PBR in there by myself ....but 5 kegs of homebrew works just fine.

A 1/6th keg is quite similar to a homebrew corny and many many breweries use them, so the commercial keezer isn't much different from a homebrew keezer.....until you get short 1/4ths or full 1/2s involved.

It is REALLY hard to get a full 1/2bbl keg into a chest freezer, especially with a collar! Seriously really hard. I have an extra gas line and picnic d-tap I use for 1/2 bbls....for outside the keezer in a trashcan full of ice!

I can attest to this. Myself an my son had a hard time getting a 1/2 over the collar. I had to get a "commercial" keg of beer when I was first starting and ran out of homebrew since I had not got my system quite right yet. Now If I have to get a back up keg I will go with the 1/4 slim.

it'd be best to cut circles, but...

I just built a 7.0 cubic foot keezer. I've got two cornies and one commercial sixtel in there right now. I might be able to run three sixtels without using the hump but it would be tight.

If you really want 4 taps and the ability to run slim quarters, I don't think a 7 cubic foot keezer would work.

My build thread, with final pictures is at: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yakbaq-yet-another-keezer-build-questions-391130/

Check out my other post on the keezer lid answer. I have some pics on how I hinged the lid and collar. I have a 7" collar and open it up for loading. If you have beer, then you have friends! I got a buddy to help me lift the 1/2 barrel of Newcastle in there last week. Not too bad. It would be a beast if the collar was in the way.

So I was in the process of cutting circles and I decided to check Craigslist one more time. I was the first to reply to a 8.8 cu ft Kenmoore chest for free. I just finished cleaning it out. It has some rust but it works great. I am going to build a coffin style. So now the project really starts. It is probably going to take me a few months. I am trying to get most of the stuff in trade. I just don't have the funds to buy it all at one time. I really appreciate all the links and info. Can anyone tell if I should make the collar out of treated or non treated lumber.

So I was in the process of cutting circles and I decided to check Craigslist one more time. I was the first to reply to a 8.8 cu ft Kenmoore chest for free. I just finished cleaning it out. It has some rust but it works great. I am going to build a coffin style. So now the project really starts. It is probably going to take me a few months. I am trying to get most of the stuff in trade. I just don't have the funds to buy it all at one time. I really appreciate all the links and info. Can anyone tell if I should make the collar out of treated or non treated lumber.

I didn't use treated on mine. Just put plenty of poly on the inside and out.

Back