Keezer build about to commence! Couple ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel48

Reaction score
I picked up a 7.2 sunbeam freezer from Menards yesterday. They were on sale and it is wide enough to put a 1/4 barrel in it if I want to some day. I took some measurements and want to start building my collar today. I have a few questions before I begin.

1. What are people typically building their collars out of? I was thinking of using 2x8's or 2x10's. I could use a nicer wood and stain it but I am not to worried about the looks as it is in the basement hobby room.

2. Do people typically attach the collar to the lid or to the base of the freezer? What do they normally attach it with? Would silicone hold it in place? If I ever want to change it back to a freezer I would like that option. I have seen pictures of both on here.

3. Anything else I should be concerned with before I begin?

ill start.

1. I built my collar with 2x8 pine and the used the same luan as an overlay that I used on the entire freezer body so the stain would match up.

2. Matter of choice here, I decided i wanted the collar to swing up with the lid. This gives me 8" less to lift the kegs in and gets my shanks out of the way of possible damage. I did things a little different here though and actually used a nice piece of oak attached directly to my collar and didnt use the freezer lid at all. For added protection I put a coat of waterproofer on the inside of the lid and then ended up also putting a piece of the thin plastic showerwall type board on the inside of it, oh and also two layers of pink insulation board.

3. If u didnt already, go with perlick taps. I scrounged and saved on things where I could, but i read too much about sticky taps to try to save a few bucks there.

Mike in Duluth

Did a bit more search and found some good information. I did go with perlick taps. I have 3 just waiting to be mounted. My goal is to get the keezer up and running by the end of the weekend. I have a Hone Kolsch naturally priming in a keg right now waiting for its final destination!

1. What are people typically building their collars out of? I was thinking of using 2x8's or 2x10's. I could use a nicer wood and stain it but I am not to worried about the looks as it is in the basement hobby room.

I used some 2x6 redwood that had been weathered in my backyard- from a disassembled playground set, and some new 2x2 redwood for some contrast. All in all, it's close to 2x8, but not quite exactly there because 2x2 redwood is smaller than regular pine 2x2 for some reason, and a 2x + another 2x is already 1/2" shorter anyway since the lumber is milled. My point is find whatever dimension will allow the lid to clear the top of the highest keg you'll ever have plus whatever hoses/quickconnects might be attached.

2. Do people typically attach the collar to the lid or to the base of the freezer? What do they normally attach it with? Would silicone hold it in place? If I ever want to change it back to a freezer I would like that option. I have seen pictures of both on here.

I put some high density foam/rubber weatherstripping about 3/4" wide on the top of the freezer lip. Then, I put the pre-made collar onto that, and compressed it slightly to seal with the weatherstripping. I used sheet metal screws and angle brackets to hold each corner onto the freezer lip. I covered the inside of the collar with foam that I had leftover from our greenhouse and sealed it all up nicely. I just mounted the original freezer lid with the original hardware/hinges to the collar once I had it square and straight looking. No problem opening the lid ontop of the collar.

I don't like the idea of using lumber for the collar. Use plywood, something thin (and veneered, if you like) so that there's room for a generous layer of foamboard inside. You'd have to reinforce the hinge area, though, but that should be easily done

I recently insulated a basement and the r-14 foamboard insulation would be great for insulating your collar. It's an inch or so thick. Probably overkill.

I have a bunch of sheets still if you are anywhere near MN :D

I used 2x6 vinyl fencing material for my collar. It's hollow inside, with two ribs (for her pleasure) running the length of the material, breaking it into three roughly 1 3/4" x 1 1/2" regions. I shoved extruded polystyrene insulation into these cavities, and also used them to run the wiring for my Love controller.

I attached with standard silicone caulk.

Back