Keezer Bar Help/ Advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_MB

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Long time lurker new to the forum. I've looked at so many keezer builds I thought it would be a rather easy adventure in building my first keg system, but it's not working out. I was looking to build a keezer with a tower and bar rail in the front instead of a wall unit. But I've lost my focus here and I just feel like it's not working out.
If I want to but a beverage fridge in beside I feel like I need the whole bar to lift anyways. Can the hinges take the weight? Should I start over?
It's been 2 days since I gathered supplies and started and after I built the base for the freeze I just froze..... Help!!

image.jpg

To add, it's a mortar 7.2 chest freezer with the thermostat swapped out with a fridge controller. Currently holding steady at 31.5 degrees dialled in when loaded with with 40 L water.
The floor is the width exactly of the freezer and 6 ft long for the front serving space. I just have no idea how to Frame it in. Should I have the lower bar with tap raise up? Should I split the bar 60/40 and raise a whole side? How often do I need in there?
carpentry experience sitting very low.... I built a deck once.

The hinges may be strong enough but are you? It's amazing how heavy a top can get and you have a lot of top there, especially after you attach the tower. After I look at it again it may not be that heavy. You also need to remember the way you have it now that the backsplash needs to have room to swing down when you open the lid. Your idea isn't bad but I'd turn the countertop around 180 so the front faces the hinges to eliminate that problem. The good thing about keeping the top whole is less cracks for spills to go into. Hopefully I gave you some ideas to get back in gear.

If you cut the top tape the area with masking tape to keep it from splitting and make sure you laminate the ends of the cut so the don't absorb any spilled beer. There's a lot's of thread showing keezer construction, search for them first.

My concern would be the joint between the backsplash and the countertop. That joint is not designed to withstand the jiggling around of a lid. You would be wise to try and beef up that joint.

You could find sturdier hinges to replace the factory hinge. They just wouldn't be spring loaded anymore, so you'd have to rest the countertop using the wall behind the keezer in a fashion.

There are lots of replacement hinge options. If this were my design I would eliminate the "lid" build one out of insulation that is permanently located inside the bar and use a large slider to slide the entire chest freezer out from under the bar, leaving the counter in place.

Just my 2 cents. A standard bar height is 42 inches to about 46 inches. Just something to think about when building. Bar stool are made standard for those heights.

Thanks all here. Most of my concerns were echoed here and ultimately is was the pre build counter idea that stalled my thoughts. Back to my original plan to be posted soon.

Back