Keeping track of water amounts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkUncle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm an all grain brewer about to begin brewing with 2 converted kegs and my igloo mash tun. I find one of the most challenging aspects is keeping track of the water amounts used during the mash step. For instance, I use Beersmith and typically it will instruct to mash in at a given amount such as 5.4 gallons and then sparge in two steps with 1.2 gallons and then with 4.7 gallons. Something like that just as an example. Well, I just bought a pump recently to pump the water directly into the tun from one of my keggles to be used as a hot lauter tank. But how do I know when I'm at these target amounts? Do most people simply guesstimate or do you somehow do this accurately? If so, how?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi all,

I'm an all grain brewer about to begin brewing with 2 converted kegs and my igloo mash tun. I find one of the most challenging aspects is keeping track of the water amounts used during the mash step. For instance, I use Beersmith and typically it will instruct to mash in at a given amount such as 5.4 gallons and then sparge in two steps with 1.2 gallons and then with 4.7 gallons. Something like that just as an example. Well, I just bought a pump recently to pump the water directly into the tun from one of my keggles to be used as a hot lauter tank. But how do I know when I'm at these target amounts? Do most people simply guesstimate or do you somehow do this accurately? If so, how?

Thanks,
Chris

Make a measuring stick, Mark off increments of .5 gallon. On a wooden dowell or something similar.

I have a sight glass and I can make a stick easy enough but when the mash calls for gallons in decimals like .2 or .7 it is somewhat of a more or less type of thing then, right?

Simple answer is yes. But with a sightglass and/or stick method, it becomes even simpler. I have gallon (0) and half gallon (.5)graduations on my sightglass and on my stick. Halfway between those is .75 and I use that for .6-.8 measurements; same applies to .25 and I round .9 and .1 up/down to nearest gallon.
So yes it is still "eyeballing" it, but it can still be done with use of basic equipment.

I have a sight glass and I can make a stick easy enough but when the mash calls for gallons in decimals like .2 or .7 it is somewhat of a more or less type of thing then, right?

Well depends on how thorough you are. You could measure off by quart or less if you want to be accurate. I think we all have our own way of doing it on our specific systems.

Latest posts

Back