keeping the wort cool? fridge wraps, options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redking11

Reaction score
So other that getting a fridge, does anyone make a cooling wrap like the heating wraps I have seen?

If I have to go with a fridge, does anyone have a recommendation on a brand/size. I would prefer to get one as small as possible for the sake of room.

Any other options I dont know about other than digging a basement?

There's the home made swamp cooler method. Get a Rubbermaid bin, put the carboy in, add about 5-8 inches on water, and then add frozen water bottles (with water inside obviously). Keeps my beer in the 60's when my apartment gets into the 70's. Fridge is ideal, but this works well too for us without room for a fridge.

If you have a tile floor and your home is on a concrete foundation the tile will stay about 10 degrees cooler than the air temperature. I elevate my fermenter off the floor if I want room temperature, have it in contact with the floor if I want it a bit cooler and stash it in a small pantry with a 100 watt light bulb if I want is a little warmer. I can get about a 15 degree difference depending on location.

Back