keeping the carboy close

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
A couple circumstances coincided so I brewed 'extra' and have 3 full carboys. My fridge only holds two and my brew schedule primarily revolves around when I have fermentor space, so I haven't had this situation before (I've only been brewing since January). My place is small and I didn't have a good spot except next to my bed. I'm fine with that.

Any funny places you've kept a carboy?

ForumRunner_20131103_213732.png

Oh the puns!

I have a lot of storage space in the kitchen, so I made a rack in one of the larger spaces and could store up to 20 gals (4 carboys) in there at a time. Worked great in the winter/spring since the house stays at 65°. Now I have a dedicated upright freezer and ferment in sanke kegs.

Actually, I was part of the Government shutdown and found myself with a lot of time to brew all of a sudden. Currently, my "fermentation closet" is full with three carboys, and our downstairs half bath now has three as well, all nicely adorned in thick t-shirts. At first it seemed tacky, but visitors have all enjoyed it :) It's not so much that I've run out of space as much as I've run out of Carboys ;)

A couple winters ago, I kept a batch under my desk next to my computer to keep it from getting too cold.

I like it being there. It is comforting. Reminds me that I have something to look forward to, helps me remember to check on my beer (not that I really need a reminder, but it keeps things in my head in case I get distracted by other stuff in 'life'). I also am seeing my beer, especially my yeast, as things to care for and nurture. Maybe that seems crazy to some people, but I am glad I know they are safe. Kinda like my kids being safe and warm in their beds at night.

Beware of fermentors in your bedroom... a good way to wake up with a bad headache from all the CO2. :mug:

Put one in my SWMBO's sewing room. Of course the temp got too warm, the airlock blew.... I had to clean the sewing machine, serger thing, drapes, ceiling, walls, floor, fabric stash, ironing board etc etc etc. Lesson Learned!!! Don't ferment anywhere you don't want to clean.

Hehe, this is a secondary, want it a little warmer than the other carboys in my fridge, so I'm not so worried about blowoff. Sounds like a bad mess...

Yep, I quite often keep mine in the sauna. But then again, I only use my sauna once a week and only then between mid-October and end of March.

Sauna is great because the carboys and demijohns are already elevated up on the top bench, so siphoning them empty is a breeze.

Be careful with fermenting in your bedroom. The fermentation process is creating gases that can be hazardous to your health. Could cause health issues according to my physician.

Be careful with fermenting in your bedroom. The fermentation process is creating gases that can be hazardous to your health. Could cause health issues according to my physician.

One carboy will not even produce enough CO2 to cause you to wake up in the middle of the night. Adding a single woman to your bedroom produces more C02 than like 50 fermenting carboys.

Carbon monoxide is the bad stuff, right? I suppose too much CO2, or maybe lots of other gases, isn't good either, but I'm not too worried.

As far as I know, fermentation doesn't produce any other gas than C02 (carbon dioxide) - the stuff we humans exhale and plants inhale.

We inhale Co2 with every breath! lol.

It is only harmful when it is so polentiful that it forms a HUGE cloud, displacing oxygen.

I remember hearing about a town in South America near a volcano. The volcano belched out a huge burst of Co2.

Being denser than air, the Co2 rolled down the volcano side and settled for a time right on this town, causing everyone to suffocate.

Scary, but you would have to be in a basement with 100 fermenters going full ferment to even be concerned.

.......BACK OT

I recently moved my 3 fermenters (after initial fermentation) into my bedroom.

(I currently have a female adding Co2, but I like to live DANGEROUSLY!! ;))

I have to say that I really like hearing the occasional bubble. I feel like I have a slight finger on the pulse of each fermentation.

I may be fooling myself as some gas off while others are actually fermenting, but I like it anyways :mug:

No, it shouldn't produce any other dangerous gases. the primary formula for fermentation is:

C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2
Glucose -> 2 Ethenol (alcohol) + 2 Carbon Dioxide

I imagine primitive brewers sleeping in the same room as their fermenting beer.

Hell! It might have kept them warm, curled up around a barrel of fermenting beer!

One carboy will not even produce enough CO2 to cause you to wake up in the middle of the night. Adding a single woman to your bedroom produces more C02 than like 50 fermenting carboys.
How does it compare to adding multiple women to your bedroom? I envision some sweeping research and serious testing here. Now I just need to explain to my wife that it's all in the name of science and the advancement of civilization. And I need to make sure all my guns are locked up, before I start the explaining...

How much CO2 does a married woman produce? Cuz that's what I sleep near.

The bathtub.

OK, it's not funny as in strange or unique – I know I'm not the first homebrewer to realize that it's not such a bad plan to ferment in a large, waterproof part of a room that's usually somewhat out-of-the-way and doesn't experience huge temperature swings due to usually not having much by the way of windows.

But, being able to tell folks who ask where I brew "oh, in my bathtub" does have a certain Prohibition-era charm.

How much CO2 does a married woman produce? Cuz that's what I sleep near.

Add a 1yo who sleeps in the middle between the married woman and said man and releases more CO2 than the said married woman...I def produce way more CO2 than my wife, but my 1yo...hhmmm she's a good competitor !

Add a 1yo who sleeps in the middle between the married woman and said man and releases more CO2 than the said married woman...I def produce way more CO2 than my wife, but my 1yo...hhmmm she's a good competitor !
My little ones were pretty good methane producers, as well. When we referred to them as little stinkers, we weren't speaking figuratively....:drunk:

Back