Keeping Frementer Warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
This time last year I was keeping my fermenter buckets in the closet in a stable 70F environment. I have since moved my operation outside to my garage which is not heated or cooled. I have two chest freezers with Inkbird 308's where one is used for lagering/conditioning at 33F and the other used for fermentation.

Obviously the freezer side of the fermenter can keep cool on warm days, and I have a fermwrap around the bucket with the Inkbird set at 67F for a beer fermenting now. With nights dipping down into the 40's, The fermwrap is struggling to keep the fermenter at temp during the night.

Is there a more effective way to keep the fermenter warmer during colder times?

well you need to insulate your setup. Putting the fermwrap around will set the heat, but putting that in some kind of insulated setup (old unused chest freezer) will keep the heat better. Just wrapping the setup in a couple of blankets should help - the problem you are having from your description is that as fast as you heat, the air takes it away.

So any way of insulating is hwat you need. You don't need to buy anything really, if you have old blankets, bath/beach towels, etc. OH and don't put it on concrete. Make sure it sits on wood and then on a layer or 2 of blanket.

well you need to insulate your setup. Putting the fermwrap around will set the heat, but putting that in some kind of insulated setup (old unused chest freezer) will keep the heat better. Just wrapping the setup in a couple of blankets should help - the problem you are having from your description is that as fast as you heat, the air takes it away.

So any way of insulating is hwat you need. You don't need to buy anything really, if you have old blankets, bath/beach towels, etc. OH and don't put it on concrete. Make sure it sits on wood and then on a layer or 2 of blanket.

Sorry I was unclear. The fermenter is in an active chest freezer now. The cooling is controlled by the freezer when it is warm in the daytime, then the fermwrap takes over the heating job when the temps dip at night. I have both the heater and the freezer plugged into the proper receptacles on the Inkbird.

Although insulated by the chest freezer, the fermwrap seems unable to keep up. I was looking for ideas to get better heat control.

ACbrewer is right on. It's all about insulation. You just have to slow the loss of heat. You can make that as complicated or as simple as you want.

I used to wrap by buckets with a couple layers of metal backed bubble wrap I found at home depot and that worked great.

The Fermwrap should be able to keep up. Especially this early in the winter season. Some people just use an incandescent light bulb in a can to heat their chambers. You could put a small space heater in there. Or wrap the chest freezer in some sort of insulation or both.

My fermentation chambers are in my basement (heated side) so I am cooling year round..

Sorry I was unclear. The fermenter is in an active chest freezer now. The cooling is controlled by the freezer when it is warm in the daytime, then the fermwrap takes over the heating job when the temps dip at night. I have both the heater and the freezer plugged into the proper receptacles on the Inkbird.

Although insulated by the chest freezer, the fermwrap seems unable to keep up. I was looking for ideas to get better heat control.

How tight is the range you are trying to control? Where is the temp probe? in the air or in another liquid?

How tight is the range you are trying to control? Where is the temp probe? in the air or in another liquid?

I have the controller set with a 2 degree swing heat and cool but it is not keeping it that tight. I have it set at 68F and beer temp was 64.5F this morning. Probably not earthshattering but out of range for the yeast I'm using. It was in the upper 40's last night, so when it really gets cold, the problem will accelerate.

The temp probe is in a thermowell in the fermenter lid going into the wort. kh54s10 offered up a suggestion to put a light bulb in a can which I am going to try next. I checked the fermwrap and it is nice and tight around the bucket held with painters tape. I'm not sure the fermwrap is working correctly, so the light in a can trick may be my next test.

The Fermwrap should be able to keep up. Especially this early in the winter season. Some people just use an incandescent light bulb in a can to heat their chambers. You could put a small space heater in there. Or wrap the chest freezer in some sort of insulation or both.

My fermentation chambers are in my basement (heated side) so I am cooling year round..

Have you made a can light? Paint can?

I have the controller set with a 2 degree swing heat and cool but it is not keeping it that tight. I have it set at 68F and beer temp was 64.5F this morning. Probably not earthshattering but out of range for the yeast I'm using. It was in the upper 40's last night, so when it really gets cold, the problem will accelerate.

The temp probe is in a thermowell in the fermenter lid going into the wort. kh54s10 offered up a suggestion to put a light bulb in a can which I am going to try next. I checked the fermwrap and it is nice and tight around the bucket held with painters tape. I'm not sure the fermwrap is working correctly, so the light in a can trick may be my next test.

I'd test the fermwrap to see if it was working or not. The light should heat the air and then the fermenter. There is a lot more thermal resistance in the fermenter than in the air in the chest freezer.

If the fermwarp is working, then you are loosing heat out of the freezer quickly, because the outside has a lot more thermal capacity. In that case, I'd wrap a blanket around the sides of the fermenter. this will help force the heat from the fermwrap into the fermenter instead of the air. Glass and plastic themselves are insulators so will resist some of that heat.

Also check the freezer for leaks. The seal is at the top, so any heat will escape out the top pretty easily, where as cool will pool in the freezer.

I'm still thinking there is an insulation problem, assuming the fermwrap is working.

I use a lightbulb plugged into the heat side. You would be surprised how much heat they put off. Freezers are insulated by nature and should hold the heat from the bulb.

I'd test the fermwrap to see if it was working or not. The light should heat the air and then the fermenter. There is a lot more thermal resistance in the fermenter than in the air in the chest freezer.

If the fermwarp is working, then you are loosing heat out of the freezer quickly, because the outside has a lot more thermal capacity. In that case, I'd wrap a blanket around the sides of the fermenter. this will help force the heat from the fermwrap into the fermenter instead of the air. Glass and plastic themselves are insulators so will resist some of that heat.

Also check the freezer for leaks. The seal is at the top, so any heat will escape out the top pretty easily, where as cool will pool in the freezer.

I'm still thinking there is an insulation problem, assuming the fermwrap is working.

I checked the fermwrap and determined it is not working. I assume while in the heat cycle I should be able to feel some slight warming with my hand while touching the fermwrap. I do not feel any warmth at all.

So, I can buy another fermwrap to replace this one, buy some other sort of heating belt, or make a light in a can.

If I opt for the light in a can, does anyone have a minute to tell me how to construct one? I assume I can get a lamp kit and make one...or how about one of those hooded type lights that have a clamp?

In my beer keezer, in my pole building, in my beer fridge...and in my fermentation chamber...I use a hair dryer on the heat side of various inkbird controllers.

I looked into several options before deciding on the simple hair dryer...it provides nice heat that gets circulated by its own nature...and it's certainly more durable than other options I was looking into.

A ceramic reptile heater that plugs into a light socket works very well and is by far more reliable than a traditional light bulb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321753337453?lpid=82&chn=ps&
ul_noapp=true

I use a water bed heater in mine. I rolled it up and sat it in the bottom of the fridge I ferment in. Works perfectly.

Would the reptile heater element be ok if resting/touching the metal bottom (hump) of the inside of the freezer floor? Or should I make a paint can housing for this element?

sorry for the slow response. I would set it so it is not touching the bottom or sides of the fridge or freezer. Put it in a small stand up lamp or one of those clip on dish style "work light" reflectors.

I have an old fashioned washtub which i fill with water at my fermentation temperature (adjusted for the volume of my fermenter). I mount 2 aquarium heaters set to my fermentation temp. I also wrap a foam pad around the tub. Low tech but works like a charm. Its been a while but maybe i threw a space blanket over the top,

I use a 200 watt space heater. It workes great in my freezer even if we have a week in the single digits

sorry for the slow response. I would set it so it is not touching the bottom or sides of the fridge or freezer. Put it in a small stand up lamp or one of those clip on dish style "work light" reflectors.

Why does it matter if the ceramic heater touches the bottom of the fridge or freezer? Mine has a metal cage so that the heater does not touch anything, but why would it matter if it did? Heat rises.

Why does it matter if the ceramic heater touches the bottom of the fridge or freezer? Mine has a metal cage so that the heater does not touch anything, but why would it matter if it did? Heat rises.

He is worried about the 85F heat source damaging his freezer.

I'd say it would be fine because they're stuck onto glass terrariums for snakes without a problem. I'd personally stick it on the side like fermwrap or go with a heat belt or another ferm wrap setup just because I don't like the paint can because it gets hot to the touch whereas the ferm wrap hasn't even been that hot for me to touch or move.

Back