Keep yeast starter going for a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoodog

Reaction score
So my buddy and I planned a brew day tomorrow but it's going to be pouring for a straight week...since my rig is propane powered and I like having an uncharred house, that pretty much means it's off. I've already started my starter - do I just leave it going or throw it in the fridge to stall the starter?

Let it go for 36 to 48 hours and then cold crash it. It will be fine for up to 10 days. The morning you go to brew, decant as much of the spent wort as you can, give it about 250ml of fresh wort to give it a wake up call and then pitch the whole thing into your chilled wort. It should take off pretty quickly as well.

Id let it ferment out then crash cool it. Then you can pour of the oxidized starter wort and just pitch the yeast. If its going to be a couple weeks just wake it up w fresh worth the day before brewing.(haha you beat me to it - yeah what he said).

Why not brew in a garage? If you absolutely can't brew, just let it spin for 12-24 hrs and put it in the fridge. Then just warm it up to pitching temp on brew day. You shouldn't lose much viability in a week at fridge temps.

Awesome, thanks for the advice and quick reply!

I don't have a garage - only a carport.

Back