Keep glycol chiller running when not in use?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mcmeador

Reaction score
I have a 1/3 HP Penguin glycol chiller and was wondering if there is any reason to keep it running when not in use. I have been just because of the concern that mold or mildew could potentially grow in the reservoir if not kept near or below freezing, but I’m not even sure if a distilled water and glycol mix would promote mold or mildew growth. Also not sure if there any kind of adverse effects that big temperature swings could have on the longevity of the solution.

Any thoughts?

Vale71

Reaction score
Mold won't grow in glycol but there are other nasties that can and given enough time will grow in it and foul it up.

I turned my chiller off one for one whole month during summer vacation (back when going on holiday was still a possibility :( ) and had to dump the glycol mix as a result. Now I always leave it running and set at -1°C. If the glycol is just sitting there and not actively chilling one or more fermenters the power consumption will be very small anyway.

Dland

Reaction score
I leave my chiller on too. As Vale said, it does not use much power when not in use. However, I did turn it off the first winter I had it since my cellar gets pretty cold, and there were no bad consequences.

OP
mcmeador

mcmeador

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will continue to let it run. I’ve had it running for 6 months already, and you are correct that it doesn’t use much energy when not cooling a fermenter. It doesn’t turn on very often. I just find myself wondering every now and then whether it’s better to let it run or turn it off and finally decided to ask. Thanks again!