Karo and DAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panik

Reaction score
I was doing a bit of reseach and reading trying to up my knowledge about unfermentable sugars today and I came across a reference from 1997 on the mad fermentationist website about making homemade carmel for brewing using karo corn syrup and diammonium phosphate:

"The homemade caramel was made using instructions from the great book Brew Like a Monk. It was easy enough, heat one bottle of light Karo Corn Syrup with 9 grams of Diammonium Phosphate (DAP, a yeast nutrient) until the desired color and flavor are reached. While the batch containing the caramel did end up tasting pretty good the caramel did not ferment (.009 gravity from the sugar, finished .009 higher than the other batches) leaving the beer too sweet for my tastes. In a future sugar experiment I am planning on trying other methods for making caramelized syrups at home."

- http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2007/02/belgian-sugar-experiment.html

Unfortunately , short of buying "Brew Like a Monk" I couldn't find any explanation of the chemistry behind this either on the web or on homebrewtalk. If anyone could explain the reason, or point me to an explanation behind adding DAP to caro while making carmel syrup I'd really appreciate it.

Back