Karl Strauss Hefe Clone? (Windansea Wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmEk

Reaction score
Looking for anyone with very close clone on Karl Strauss' Windansea Wheat Hefenweizen. I've run nearly a hundred searches over the last 5 months and nothing.

I'm a noob to brewing, so was hoping to follow a vets recipe....though I have seen lots of nice hefe recipes in my searches. I really have searched A LOT before breaking down to ask for help here....finally a shameful cry for help...

Does anyone have experience with a close clone? I like the "thickness" of their hefe and the closest thing I can find commercial to theirs is Franziskaner, but its still different too. They have a serious cloudiness in theirs and here is there blurb in case the link above doesn't come through well with their age page to get into the site.

In the world of unfiltered wheat beers, what sets Windansea Wheat Hefeweizen apart is perfectly clear. We use a centuries-old pure strain of Bavarian yeast known for producing unique banana, clove, and vanilla flavors during fermentation. A mix of pale barley, white wheat, and Tettnanger hops gives the beer a full refreshing taste with no need for an orange or lemon.
LA County Fair2010
LA County Fair - Gold Medal Winner

stats
Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%
Color: 3 SRM
Bitterness: 12 IBU

And if no replies... I guess I'll have to just give it a try with what they have listed there in my inexperience.

Thanks all!

Certainly sounds like they give you all the info you need. I'd go 50% pale malt and 50% wheat malt. Mash ~150 F and use enough malt to get you to an OG of 1.050. 90 min boil with 12 IBUs of Tett at 60 min as the only hop addition. I really like Wyeast 3068 fermented cool (~60 F), alternatively assuming they don’t pasteurize or use a different bottling strain you could try to culture their yeast from a couple fresh bottles. After fermentation is complete you can cold condition the beer for a few days to help it clean up before bottling.

You can always try to contact the brewery as well to see if they’ll give you any more info. It may take you a batch or two to dial it in, hope that helps, good luck.

Certainly sounds like they give you all the info you need. I'd go 50% pale malt and 50% wheat malt. Mash ~150 F and use enough malt to get you to an OG of 1.050. 90 min boil with 12 IBUs of Tett at 60 min as the only hop addition. I really like Wyeast 3068 fermented cool (~60 F), alternatively assuming they don’t pasteurize or use a different bottling strain you could try to culture their yeast from a couple fresh bottles. After fermentation is complete you can cold condition the beer for a few days to help it clean up before bottling.

You can always try to contact the brewery as well to see if they’ll give you any more info. It may take you a batch or two to dial it in, hope that helps, good luck.

It does help, and thanks greatly for the reply - it's the temps and yeast I was worried about or if there was anything special going on. I'll have to give it a whirl soon, and I will culture the yeast if the 3068 doesn't come in with the same flavors.

Just did a side by side brew. Same base for both. AG 1lb flake wheat, 4lb wheat malt, 5lb 2 row, 1lb rice hull. strike @ 175. PH @ 5.2 brita water with gypsum, Mash in at 155 and hold for 60min, fly sparge with 2 gal at 168. Add yeast nutrient. Pitched 2.75gal in better bottle with WLP 300 and 2 1gal jugs with starter cultured from Karl Strauss windandsea hefeweizen. Both primaried for too long at almost 1.5month due to being busy. bottled 2.75 gal with 100g dextrose and 1.75 gal with 65g dextrose. both turned out good with good amount of carb. WLP is a bit hazy and nice, KS clone settled out more and has a nice nose with more fruit....hint of apple. Both are nice hefenweizen for my taste. Over all I would just go with White Labs 300. Cheers!

Back