Kansas BREWS!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
Hello from the land of OZ folks!

I am not new to the theory of brewing, but I have completed my first brew a few weeks ago. It was a brilliant success. It amazed myself. I did a lot of research on these forums and found great information! Thank you all who previously asked all the questions I had!

Thank you! Manhattan eh? nearly a neighbor, lol maybe an hour away. Are you familiar with Rees Fruit Farm on on 24 hwy? At the junction of 24 and 4?

Welcome from a former Kansas boy. My family is all over East Central and North East Kansas. Little dot on the map called St. Benedict a few miles from Seneca. You could almost spit and hit Nebraska from Grandpa's back forty.

I was born in Wichita though and that has made it tough to not seem like I was jumping on a bandwagon in March. I do not think I have been in Wichita since about 1979 though.

Manhattan, they produce some great beer, in my opinion, , love the Tall grass

Love the fact that they use the tall boy cans! Some of the beer is just ok but certainly summer pool side good when visiting the cousins in Topeka.

Well, I must admit right here and now, That I am not big on craft beers.... When it comes to beer, I like the crap you find in the liquor stores...sorry. My real interest is in wines,, specifically apple and I want to try cherry. I'f I'm gonna brew something at home, it HAS to have a REAL kick. 14% is my minimum target...I'd like to aim for the 18% max, if possible under my brewing conditions. As for wines, I detest grape! I don't think anything tastes worse, even the chewy beers you guys are fond of. I don't mean to down talk beer here, just state my opinion on alcoholic beverages in general.

Manhattan, they produce some great beer, in my opinion, , love the Tall grass

Some of the best beer there is right now! Of course there's nothing like drinking it on tap in the taphouse when we have our Little Apple Brew Crew meetings there.

Thank you! Manhattan eh? nearly a neighbor, lol maybe an hour away. Are you familiar with Rees Fruit Farm on on 24 hwy? At the junction of 24 and 4?

Only an hour away from Manhattan? Where is it that you're from? Topeka or the other direction towards Salina?

I am not familiar with them at all. I've been wanting to do a couple batches of wine something fierce lately.... Maybe I can find some good fruit from there this summer!

Hello from the land of OZ folks!

Welcome! Congrats on your successes with the hobby. It's much better than stamp collecting or bird watching.

I like to pronounce Kansas like they pronounce Arkansas, just to confuse my audience. Great way to make people look at you weird.

BTW, Dorothy left Kansas to go to Oz (which everyone knows was sunny FL).

Delicious frozen cider. I get it often in the summer. Nothing better than a slightly healthy slushy in the summer heat!

Topeka... I live between Topeka and Valley Falls. It may be a little over an hour, but not much. Go with the wine buddy, you won't be let down. I haven't brewed any beer, but it seems to me wine is a lot less complex. Find a fruit you like the taste of, add sugar and yeast and BLAM! I get the cider, it cost more but I don't have to press those darned apples. Some day I might do it completely from scratch, but that'll be when i have My own trees to pick from. I don't know what's out your way, but my Local Farm is Rees Fruit Farm. they have a website with good info on what they carry. I love the cider cuz it's a blend of several sweets, and they have fresh stuff ALL year. Not just in the fall. Tell me more about this Apple Brew Crew?

Well I am glad to see more people from kansas on here. I am from the south west area. But moved all around hitting Texas, Arizona, Germany, and now in Utah. good luck

Tell me more about this Apple Brew Crew?

Being that I am from Manhattan, KS (we're called the Little Apple), we call ourselves the Little Apple Brew Crew. We meet once a month at a different member's house to share our homebrewed beer and really just have a good time. It really varies from month to month on how many people attend, but it's always fun!

That's cool, makes me wonder if there isn't any type of gatherings around my part of the woods.

Hey Manhappenin'! :ban:

Had my first homebrew in Manhattan. Lived there for 14 years. KSU Alum. No Tall Grass when I was there, but Little Apple brewery tho.

I also lived in Independence and Lawrence. I now live in the Seattle area, but I miss Kansas some days.:mug:

O yeah? I lived down in the rainier valley for a few years, then just south of the industrial district.Spent a little time up on Queen Anne as well. Small world. I came back to Kansas :)

That's cool, makes me wonder if there isn't any type of gatherings around my part of the woods.

According to a quick google search, there is the Greater Topeka Hall of Foamers homebrew club.

Greater Topeka Hall of Foamers
Topeka, KS
Phone: 785 234-5224
Email: [email protected]

I don't know how accurate that information is though. The email is Jeff Gill's email (the owner of Tallgrass) and he now lives in Manhattan. Might be old info, might be up to date.

T Baggins.

Im sure they meet at Blind Tiger. Not sure the day or time but its a great resource to belong to a club even if you just do wine its great to hang out with people with the same interest.

And just remember, here in the great Sunflower State, we dont share homebrew anything. We only share hypothetical combinations of Malt, Hops, Water, and Yeast in a "what if" situation. Sharing Homebrew will get Sammy B's gestapo calling and no one wants that.

Welcome and Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Chris

Hey Dirty, thanks for the welcome and Rock Chalk right back at ya!

I was under the impression that the powers that be only forbid the SALE of said theoretical beverages? My definition of sharing is exactly that...here, try some for free!

Hey Dirty, thanks for the welcome and Rock Chalk right back at ya!

I was under the impression that the powers that be only forbid the SALE of said theoretical beverages? My definition of sharing is exactly that...here, try some for free!

Technically, here in Kansas, we're not supposed to take our homebrewed beverages outside the home that brewed it and not supposed to share it with anyone other than immediate family. We ARE trying to get things changed currently though. Hopefully we can make everything legal sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back